web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#557326 09/01/13 05:47 PM
OP Offline
Considering an upgrade/change from my TA624-5 to a TA-824. I noticed that CID for CO 1-3 comes standard along with 8 extensions. Installation manual clearly states that SLTs with caller ID display will display the CID info like they would on a POTS line with caller ID service which is a plus in my case.

My setup here is two buildings, office/shop for home business and house 15 ft away and Cat5e cables for phone and network run between underground in conduit. The PBX controller is in the business building and in the business I will be using display PT phones but I have a fax machine capable of showing the incoming number via CID service. I need to have 2 ports for a TVS50 as an answering machine like I do with the TA624 which leaves 6 EXT ports if the basic 3x8 config. The business building needs phones in a woodshop, assembly shop, bench area and 2 desks in the office. Just me and the wife, she mostly does her thing in the house. CO 1 will be our business incoming line, CO2 will be for outgoing and for a calldesk line when I start working with that kind of work later. House does not need to access CO2.

Ok here goes. Can I get away with an 8EXT setup - if I use one extension assigned to just CO1 and run it to the house and parallel 3 SLTs on that line? Could I put more than one display PT on an extension in the business building - say my woodshop and assembly shop on the same extension cable with 2 PTs paralleled? Would that work and them both ring at the same time and both auto-answer in intercom mode? Or do I really need the second card to give me 16 extensions to do what I want for both buildings?

Finally the TA824 doorphone card looks an awful lot like the TA624 doorphone cardthough they are different part numbers. I suppose the TA624 doorphone card would NOT work in a TA824. If it will I'd like to know. I know my TA30865 doorphones will work with either model Ta624 or TA824 and that my T77xx phones will work with either system and that the current 2 pair for PT and 1 pair for SLT will work on either.

Greatly appreciate any insight on this to help with deciding on this.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
In order I think the answers are yes, no, no, yes. and no.
The TA 824 cards are different than the 624's and you can't run two PT's on the same cable. However, you could run the single line set paralled with a PT, with some limitations. One of the limitations would probably inhibit CID.

Carl

OP Offline
I think I figured out how I can survive with just 8 extensions and 7/8 used with TVS50 leaving me 6 - two extensions in the house, one with PT for the wife's "shop" aka craft room, one with paralleled PT in the kitchen and SLT in the living room. That leaves me 4 for my business building extensions. The fax can parallel off my desk PT. My bench area with a PT with a paralleled SLT jack for times I have to connect something like a fax for testing or the occasional modem. I service computers, printers, faxes, etc and though it's rare, I still see a few people that use dialup internet by modem. That leaves me one for the assembly area and one for the woodshop. If and when I can get either a 3x8 or a 0x8 card I can modify things at the punch block and expand things if I need to but I likely won't need to.

As long as CID can be passed to an SLT along with the ability to program with software rather than the admin PT it should be worth the cost to change and once I get a doorphone card the house and office front door will be back in communication again like they are now.

When a PT and SLT are paralleled on the same extension I assume both will ring when the intercom function is used and calls an extension with both paralleled ?

Appreciate the info.

Last edited by Russ Blakeman; 09/01/13 08:01 PM.
824 is a lot better. Cant see why door will not work . Try before you buy a new one.

OP Offline
The more I read about the TA824 the more I agree. I looked at photos of the doorphone cards for both the TA624 and TA824 and they are different but I can pick up a brand new one for under 100 once I get a decent control unit. I noticed they got smart on the 824 and instead of a fixed ROM chip you can update firmware like you would a printer or router, via USB. Also checking I see my phones and TVS50 will work with the 824 pretty much the same as with the 624 and I can use the same doorphones just have to get the different doorphone card. I shouldn't be out a great deal in the end once I sell the old 624 that has a CID card, 6co and 16 stations and doorphone card. Won't break even but won't be out the full amount either, and I'll have much better CID than the 624's system. I noticed the TA824 isn't that old since the manuals are copyrighted 2005 and 2007.

The price you have to pay when you need more than one CO line and other specific features. Appreciate the help so far, hopefully with the software setup it won't be as painstaking getting the TA824 setup when I get my hands on one.

OP Offline
Managed to find a package with a TA824, TVA50 and 4 7731 phones for under $300 shipped so once I get it here I can work with it then get my TVS50 and TA624 and excess 70xx phones sold. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will have more than 8 extensions, who knows. The photo was of the closed unit so I won't be able to tell till it arrives. I have 2 7735's and a 7736 I recently picked up so I should have enough phones.

OP Offline
TA824 is here, put 0x8 card in and it's 3x16 now. Doorphone card for the TA824 ordered so soon the TA624 will be reset/cleared, cleaned and put up for sale with the TVS50 since the TA824 came with a TVA50 and 4 77 series phones. Pretty much all set once the new doorphone card arrives.

OP Offline
Oh one thing I need to bug you TA824 experts on - I did a 998 and I have 3.0.4 for firmware. Anything newer/better out there I can get without having to be a Panasonic dealer? Maybe someone could email attach to me - that is unless of course 3.0.4 is current.

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024