Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#559418 10/07/13 09:02 AM
OP Offline
IM just curious as to what you guys prefer in terms of brands of phones on asterisk. I am planning a rollout of an asterisk with about 120 phones in the new year. So far i have tested with Aastra and Yealink. i was pleasantly surprised with the Yealink phones considering origin and price. But what are the opinions on Snom, Grandstream, Polycom even Cisco? any input would be very much appreciated.

Jay, a recovering IT guy
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Although we did not test all that you mentioned, we like Polycom by far.

hitechcomm #559442 10/07/13 01:40 PM
OP Offline
thanks, i have a rep dropping off a cisco phone tomorrow and a polycom.

Jay, a recovering IT guy
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
We don't have a lot of experience in this area---but so far, we like Yealink the best---mainly because it seems to be much easier to provision & program....but maybe that's just us.

Admin
Admin
You're in Canada, go with a Canadian company! Aastra phones are the easiest to provision if you use FreePBX distro and the Aastra XML scripts.

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
I've got a single Snom 320 in front of me, and one of my former clients had a mix of Snom 320 and 300. Had one Snom 320 "die" within a month. Would just boot and boot and boot, never getting anywhere. RMA'd back to the vendor I purchased from and got a replacement. Then I had two handsets (yes the speaker/mic part) die. Snom wouldn't help me on that, so I ended up finding a vendor who sold just the handsets for $25.00.

The web admin page has a ton of options, not very well documented. I don't like the shape of the handset or the texture (easy to drop off shoulder). Speakerphone is kind of weird. The first second or two of sound gets cut off before the speaker starts working.

I haven't figured out how to get MWI working yet. I think I'd go with another brand to be honest.

I use a Cisco 7960G with Trixbox. Love the phone. Simple to program, looks great, overall quality. Can be powered by PoE or power adapter. You just have to get phones that are already installed with SIP firmware, or somehow get the software from Cisco or another source and direct the phones to download it via TFTP. It's also really easy to make custom ringtones for them.

The older Cisco phones can be had online for relatively cheap now, at least the older models with the monochrome screens.

Last edited by telecom guy10; 10/16/13 05:51 PM. Reason: Missing words

Tennessee Technology Solutions, LLC | "Business technology solutions reimagined." | (423) 665-9995 | www.423tech.com
We've used many handsets with Asterisk and prefer Cisco. We tried both Cisco SPA504G and Cisco SPA525G. We have 1 client running approx 50 Cisco SPA504G.

Digium phones are also pretty cool though if you're using a distro (such as FreeBSD) which doesn't support the digium phone module then you will have problems with missed call alerts showing when calls are answered at other stations. I have been in touch with Digium who have advised there is no fix for this at the moment as it doesn't support the CALL_ANSWERED_ELSEWHERE sip headers and they may be looking at including this in to a Firmware update - but as yet it's tough :P

So Digium if distro supports the module or Cisco if not. Cisco and Digium are pretty easy to auto-provision which is what you want for a large environment, Cisco provisioning via TFTP server and Digium via HTTP.

With regards to message waiting indicators and BLF we succesfully had them working on both handsets with server based addressbooks.

We have also tried SNOM and some others, personal preference just didn't like the look and feel of those handsets.

Last edited by lostpacket; 12/10/13 06:40 PM.

Network Support Engineer
Sheridan Computers
http://www.sheridancomputers.co.uk/
Yealink is #3 already for a reason - the best value for the dollar.

#1 Cisco is losing share, overrated phones.
#2 Polycom is great, but overpriced
#3 Yealink - the most beautiful phone on Earth (T48), phone variety is great; provisions easily; they will pass up Cisco and Polycom, give it time.

(#1, #2, #3 market share)

Grandstream would be in the top six also.

Originally Posted by VoIP Portland
Yealink is #3 already for a reason - the best value for the dollar.

#1 Cisco is losing share, overrated phones.
#2 Polycom is great, but overpriced
#3 Yealink - the most beautiful phone on Earth (T48), phone variety is great; provisions easily; they will pass up Cisco and Polycom, give it time.

(#1, #2, #3 market share)

Grandstream would be in the top six also.

You wouldn't happen to be associated with Yealink or Grandstream/

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,760
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,430 Shoretel
188,226 CTX100 install
187,069 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, BobRobert), 105 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024