web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#559694 10/11/13 11:32 AM
mike26 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a 7100 with mp10a v4.30i and I'm trying to set up the ethernet parameters via 830. I have the IP, gateway and netmask set and have issued a system reset, but I cannot ping the IP. Also the LAN LED on the mp10 unit doesn't light up with the cable plugged into a switch (the the lights on the switch sort of blink, but only once a second or so).

I'm not sure what is going on, any idea?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Just looking at it from the outside, I have a couple questions. I am not trying to accuse anyone of anything, but I wanted to make sure the dumb stuff was ruled out first, so: 1) Are you sure the patch cord is properly wired and is good? You can always swap it out with one currently working on the switch to make sure. 2) Are you sure of the settings for gateway and what not? Sometimes a simple fat-fingered keystroke can make for hours of troubleshooting. 3) Did you go into 830 after the reset and make sure the IP address was taken correctly? 4) Can you ping other internal addresses on the network from the computer you are trying to ping the KSU with? Things like the gateway and DNS servers and even other nodes would make for good testing.

Last edited by Herk; 10/11/13 12:19 PM.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and panicking like the passengers in his car.

mike26 Offline OP
OP Offline
1) I've tried 3 cables (one of which was pulled from a working computer)
2,3) I've checked the ip/gateway both before and after reboot (with 830)
4) yes, can ping gateway address and multiple other computers on the same subnet

But regardless of the IP address config or gateway config, am I right that the LAN LED should light up when connected to the switch (or is it an activity LED)?

Each switch can be different. Some have activity lights only, some have connection lights only, and others have both. You should be able to visually check the other cables plugged in and see what it appears they are to be doing. Short of making a cross-over cable and manually setting your IP address of your computer to match that of the KSU to confirm if or not the MP10a's data port is working, I have no suggestions to be honest with you. Doing that would confirm that it is or is not working, but other than that it sounds like you could be fire-walled or any number of data traffic inhibiting problems if you can't ping it and it truly is working.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and panicking like the passengers in his car.

mike26 Offline OP
OP Offline
I was asking about the LAN LED on the 7100 -- it's dark always with the cable connected. The switch light does blinks.

I don't think there are any firewall issued since there's just a switch between me and the 7100.

I will try to find a crossover cable and hook it right up to the computer.

mike26 Offline OP
OP Offline
Strange... plugging a non-crossover cable into a computer and pinging it does work -- and the LAN light on the 7100 lights up. I wonder why it's not lighting up when operating with a switch.

Could it be a bad port on the switch? Could it be a managed switch? Once the KSU works on a direct cable and doesn't on the switch, it can get into a major fiasco over what it really is, and every IT person is right and the phone vendor is always wrong, so good luck!

Could it be a bad port on the switch? Could it be a managed switch? Once the KSU works on a direct cable and doesn't on the switch, it can get into a major fiasco over what it really is, and every IT person is right and the phone vendor is always wrong, so good luck!

mike26 Offline OP
OP Offline
I've tried a bunch of ports and two different switches (one is netgear JFS516, which is unmanaged).

I agree -- its very weird that it works with the direct connection and not in the switch (and even with a non-crossover cable).

Moderator-Samsung
Moderator-Samsung
I've seen systems not work on some switches but work on others (even same brand)

I don't think the system is faulty. Try a little 5 port 10/100 switch

Last edited by nameless; 10/11/13 08:54 PM. Reason: more information

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,706 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (JBean3329, mongo5150, Curlycord), 101 guests, and 242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024