web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#561222 11/12/13 06:38 PM
OP Offline
normally when i install 70 volt paging mostly Bogen i always use
16x2 shielded cable,
recently i was hired by a competitor to help with a large paging system in a hospital i was surprised that they were not using shielded cable he said that you didn't have to with 70 volt paging.
what is your take on this
thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Input cabling is always shielded. Output (speaker) cabling is almost NEVER shielded. The shield can act as an antenna and pick up noise.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
makes sense but i wonder why on Bogen web site they say to use shielded thats why i have been using shielded wouldn't unshielded cable make interference on lets say data wires crossing in ceilings ect???

I was taught that you never use shielded cable for speakers or 70 volt lines unless the speakers are on an intercom talk back system.

Where does Bogen say to use shielded?

... wouldn't unshielded cable make interference on lets say data wires crossing in ceilings ect???

Interference with data is an old wife's tale or at least a product of some CGs fertile imagination. I don't care how or where you run CAT5 it's gonna work fine.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 11/13/13 12:06 AM.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Online Thinking
Interference can show up on any 25/70/100v system. I know this because it happened at a School district I use to work at.

Brand new state of the art Fire Alarm system installed along with a Paging system and when they were turned on you could hear the data from the fire alarm system on the paging speakers. The paging system required shielding per the manufacture and the installer ran shielded cable, but didn't connect the shields together. Once the shielding problem was corrected, the data noise went away.

So the end result is do what the manufacture of the equipment requires.

Oh, and never use shielded cable for regular speaker cables as it causes all kinds of problems. You really don't even need to use twisted pair cable. If you are running speaker wire in conduit, just use regular wire the same as you would use for an ac circuit. Otherwise standard 2 conductor cable is just fine at the appropriate gauge.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally Posted by hbiss
I was taught that you never use shielded cable for speakers or 70 volt lines unless the speakers are on an intercom talk back system.

-Hal

Yup. In that case the speaker (in talkback mode) becomes an input and therefore requires shielded cable.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Technically, a shielded cable is actually a capacitor. Think about it and it makes sense. You can cause more problems with shielded cable than you can solve. An amplifier is designed to output into a resistive or inductive load, not a capacitor. Eventually, if the conditions are right, the shielded wire could provide an induced emf back to the finals in the amp and wipe out the transistors.

Some systems, however, are designed with a shielded output in mind. I am reminded of the old nurse call systems and Valcom talkback systems. Both were designed to use shielded cable.

Regarding the new addressable fire alarm panels, I would highly recommend using shielded cable and make sure you separate input pairs from the output power pairs. It makes a VERY big problem if you do not.

Rcaman

Last edited by Rcaman; 11/13/13 09:42 AM.

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Hate to beat a dead horse, but I agree, do not use shielding on speaker cables unless the manufacturer requires it for special application such as a school intercom talkback type scenario.

OP Offline
Hal i cant find it now but i will call Bogen a get an answer tomorrow will update

Don't go out of your way, just curious.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024