web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200461 02/24/10 05:14 AM
OP Offline
I'm a user of SoftIPT 3.0 and I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing the problems with it that I am. In general it works just fine. Crystal clear audio, all the buttons do what they should, etc... but every now and again, typically a couple times a day...

1. Intermittently, during a call, I will start to hear the last second of audio from the other person loop. It will play over and over like a skipping record (anyone remember record skip?) and typically does not recover. Once in a great while I've had it recover within a few seconds, but typically, once it starts looping, it just stays there. I've found, through random panic button pushing, that if I press the "Cnf/Trn" button to put the call on "hold" then click the line button to go back into the call, it always clears this error and resumes normal audio. The problem is when the looping starts while the other party is quiet, for example, when I'm talking and can't hear them. In that case, they seem to still hear me, but if they try to break in or say something, I don't hear it. Since part of my job involves supporting customers on the phone, that makes me sound very rude.

2. Intermittently, perhaps most often when I try to get my email by pressing the "envelope" button, the program crashes, but continues to work... Let me explain that. I get the "SoftIPT has encountered a problem and needs to close" popup, but SoftIPT continues to work just fine. I can get my messages, continue with a customer call, etc... and everything is hunky dory. Once I select "send a report" or "don't send a report" from the crash dialog, THEN SoftIPT stops working and closes.

My environment is a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT270P laptop running Windows XP pro. P4 2.4GHz 1GB RAM. I'm behind a LinkSys WRT54G router on cox cable and the phone system is on a static IP on a T1 line at the office.

Anyone else have those sorts of problems? Any suggestions?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Former Moderator-Toshiba, Request an Installer
Former Moderator-Toshiba, Request an Installer
I have seen errors when using any Toshiba IP phone behind a Linksys WRT54G. I can rarely even get them to connect. My router is a Netgear with the SPI firewall disabled.

Now available Voicemail Programmer Kit to program your Toshiba Voice Mail across your network.

Toshiba Technical Support at: One Ring Telecom
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Are you running the IPT Softphone in the office on the LAN or port forwarding from a remote location via the WAN?

If you are coming in via the WAN the VPN is the best way to go to be hasstle free or have the LIPU/MIPU/GIPU connected to a routed subnet via the WAN (bypassing NAT and firewalls)

I am using v3.0 IPT Softphone on XP Pro/Vista and Windows 7 desktops without any problems.

Regards
Carl
OP Offline
Two years on and I still have the same problem. I found this post (my post) when searching again for a solution.

I've seen the same looping behavior with the program behind the original Linksys (through several firmware updates) and when I'm in the office with a 3COM router and on business trips behind goodness knows what.

At the office, I'm inside the firewall, so I know that isn't it.

I've tried with the VPN network and the external network.

I've been through 3 different computers; the original Sony Vaio, a Compaq Presario w/XP and then Win7x32, and now a /screaming/ ASUS G73S w/Win7x64.

... all the same. Randomly loops the last second of audio until I hit the Cnt/Trn button, or sometimes it will recover on it's own. It's worse (happen more often and is less likely to recover) when talking to co-workers on the intercom. When it happen in the intercom mode, I generally can't get it to clear, and have to just hang up and wait.

On regular calls, it happens perhaps once ever 30 to 45 minutes on average. Sometimes it will happen repeatedly every few minutes, other times it goes for hour after hour without a problem.

It's amazing to me that no-one else has seen this problem. If you do see it, please contact me. My address is just my name at geocities d0t c0rn.

At least I'd like to know I'm not cursed! ,o)

You are not cursed James.

One of my users kept getting the skipping record issue more than a year ago. I beat myself up trying to figure it out and never did come up with a solution. It happened regularly when he was using SoftIPT when he was on our LAN/WAN with no firewall or NAT in between him and the IPU.
We eventually gave up on SoftIPT, set him up with a SIP extension and installed X-Lite on his notebook.

I thought maybe I was cursed. I just saw your post when searching for a way to start SoftIPT with different configurations.

TekMason

TekMason
IP therefore I am

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,307
Posts638,895
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,991 Shoretel
190,181 CTX100 install
188,352 1a2 system
Newest Members
dcl, Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks
49,771 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 44 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024