web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
This sound suspiciously familiar as in "get rid of the phone guy, we are IT the wave of the future and can do it all. VoIP is the wave of the furure which will be silence since the network is down and you can't call IT. I am currently going through trying to make IP packets pass voice and modem data and answering management questions about why VOIP is not working. They bought it, I have to fix it. Also dealing with IT techs who have no clue what is between the jack in the cubical and the one in the IDF closet patch panel. Good thing we took all those 110 block wires to patch panel a few years ago. 110 blocks are very similar to bix, just more common in the US.

That being said, you say you can easily accomplish the data side by tracing the name on the network drop, I hope the name is always correct. The data drop has eight spaghetti like plastic covered thingys called wires. They are broken in to groups of two wires referred to as pairs. These pairs are color coded. But you say you don't care about learning about wiring. So, those RJ-11 jacks you refer to have four wires or two pairs. The RJ-45s you plug your network in to have eight wires or four pairs. Same concept. Your network uses two of the four pairs (unless it is GNet or uses some versions of PoE), the phone uses one of the two.

You refer to bix panels. How many wires to each panel? 18 phones. More than likely this is documented somewhere. On the other hand with only 18 phones it may be in some phone guys head.

If you had ever had to work with ethernet cross connects on 110 or bix blocks you would be familiar with how only two pair (orange/green) are used.

If you are going to take over the voice side, you better become familiar with the wiring. If you can't or won't hire the telephone guy back.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

voip the future? maybe. All my clients even big ones with new installations have T1 and some times ISDN installed because they used because the site is outside the DSL range. But in almost all my commercial installations, there is almost no voip installed from the site..to the remote site. Voip is only installed locally on the network to Avaya stations. After that, its copper trunks or t1 for voice and data on dsl.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,625 Shoretel
189,515 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Yoda), 144 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024