web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi,
The non-profit company I work for is in great need of replacing their current Toshiba DK-280 Strata phone system. The person/company that installed it is no where to be found and no one knows the passwords to the voicemail administration or the KSU.

We have a T1 with 9 lines used for voice, 4 fax lines and a credit card machine line.

After getting quotes from various vendors and presenting them to the business manager, the decision was turned down due to the cost.

With that said, I'm really a hands on person and feel I could install a system, however the ability to have it running quickly would be the issue. The personnel in organization use the phones heavily.

Can someone give me a recommendation on a system that has very good documentation in way of setup and configuration (both KSU and Voicemail)? More importantly, what hardware would I need to accommodate the T1 and number of lines from the CO.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I don't think you will find such a system, all have there own quirks that a skilled tech can install, but is well beyond end user skills.

Retired phone dude
DIY is a 4 line phone from Office Max.

If you can't budget a new system, keep the DK280.
Break down and pay a good tech to come and put it right, it will last another 10 years. Plenty of parts around.

You know if you get a new system most good providers will let the end user handle a lot of basic things. VM greetings, passwords, new mailboxes, Names in phones, things that change a lot.

If you get on the internet you will find a gillion companies that say buy our stuff and DIY. Their whole gig is to get you sold then charge $90 per 15 min for tech support. And guess what? It will take at least 2 hours to figure out what you want and for you to understand what they mean.

Last edited by brokeda; 02/09/14 02:12 PM.
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Sounds like your "needs" are far beyond a Do it Yourself standpoint. Either get a tech to maintain your present system or break down and buy a new one installed by a professional. Usually well worth the initial expense to have it set up properly.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
What exactly is wrong with the Toshiba (if anything) that is prompting your need for replacement?
From my limited knowledge of Toshiba, their systems will last a very long time.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Mr. Arieta:

If you would tell us where you are located, we might be able to help find a Toshiba dealer in your area. I needed such a person for one of my customers (I don't install or program Toshiba systems) and I found a very experienced and fair technician near me. He has arranged for remote programming and maintenance so that premise visits are seldom necessary. I'm sure a person like him would be able to retrieve your passwords or reset your system to your satisfaction.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm certainly not a DIY, as I have worked in the IT field for 10 years and have gained quite a bit of skill doing IT administration. Everything from pulling cable, terminating and testing fiber, setting up enterprise virtual environments, SANS etc., and right down to desktop support. I guess I feel the lack of control that I have due to not having the experience that those with years of experience have acquired in the phone system world. It's something that I'd really like to learn, but what direction to do so is a bit convoluted. I have thought about getting a system and using a couple rollover lines to "break,fix & test".

At this point I need a backup plan if something does fail. My solution was replacing and don't get me wrong, I completely agree with pay for a solution with support since it would be out of my scope of experience.

Arthur, thank you for info. That to me is a good backup plan to have someone knowledgeable on the Toshiba system and book some time to have he/she come in to give some advice and maybe straighten out the issues we are having.

Our organization is located in Lehighton, PA.

Thanks for all the comments.

Originally Posted by Rich Arieta
...I'm certainly not a DIY, as I have worked in the IT field for 10 years and have gained quite a bit of skill doing IT administration.

Kind of like saying: " I've been a practicing orthopedic surgeon for 10 years, so I am therefore knowable enough to work on your Lamborghini engine." grin help

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
One option you might want to look at is upgrading the DK280 to the Toshiba CIX. You will likely be able to reuse the cards, voice mail, and phones. This will breathe old life into the Toshiba. The CIX is IP capable (the DK is not) and offers management through a web based application. Consult with a dealer in your area. Toshiba will definitely help you find one. ~ Mike

Michael Meyer
OP Offline
Well actually I just changed my timing belt on my 2008 Volvo, changed injectors on my 7.3 diesel and the following Monday vitalized two physical servers. :-P

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 104 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024