web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
HI! I had a customer have a electrican install backup generator at there office over weekend , i did not know till i got a call that phone system was not working, Nortel cics V7, with call pilot 100, 8 co lines about 14 Tel. The system has a apc 500 , Power was on ,voltages were find , some telephone displays worked but buttons wouldn't respond,i could only hear analog ringer working, i shut everything off unplugged and pulled all cards , replugged everything , still wouldn't work, it would flash , reset , buttons wouldn't work, i did this about 3 times , i grabbed another system and just swapped the software , didn't help ,swapped whole system didn't help, put old system back in pulled all digital port jumpers and put them on 1 at a,time x221 worked , 2nd 3rd etc all started working on original system , i just had a few buttons on telephones to reprogram, was this a glitch caused from apc ups and generator?? I even had it plugged in a different outlet just in cause an it was the same. All is working but wanted to avoid this in future if this was the cause?? Thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
It certainly could have caused it if the sparky just worked on the circuits with the Nortel in the on position, he should have powered it down while he was working cause I'm sure he turned the backup on and off a few times to test it. As we all know Brown outs can really mess with a systems programs and if he was testing it then he was creating his own brown outs.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
OP Offline
Thanks Dualtonemulti-frequency i figured as much , but sparky and customer were in denial .

Of course they would would deny it.........

Fact is, you had to rectify it.

-TJ-
OP Offline
Yes and that came with a premium price!!

It was working until we put the generator in, what could the problem be? banghead bash Sometimes the obvious is just to hard too figure out.

Retired phone dude
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
What bill said...,.

Will they dispute your bill....

OP Offline
The sparky is a friend , and she must be in protect mode ,, i'm also 1 of there insurance customers , she very nice and won't deny the bill, .

When was the last time you tested the APC 500 for correct operation?

When was the battery last replaced?

It's possible that the system had never (recently) been transferred to the APC, and this was the first time that the APC was called upon to power the system, and failed due to an out-dated battery.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Also check the model and serial # of that UPS. There was a recall 10+ yrs ago for it:
https://www.apc.com/site/press_cent...two-uninterruptible-power-supply-models/

A quick check would be if the case is white, then it is probably of that vintage. Probably time to get rid of it anyway and get a new one (preferably with pure sine wave output which handles electrical spikes and dips that some generators put out for electricity).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,385 Shoretel
189,098 CTX100 install
187,416 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (newtecky), 136 guests, and 372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024