web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by ffej010
In regards to services over fiber, I know that they do make business class ONT's that will deliver POTS, Ethernet (data/IPTV), RF TV, and T1 or Pseudowire connections. I would think that Verizon would have tried to install one of those to deliver your PRI circuit.

Two things come to mind here...

a) Different engineers (at least in my neck of the woods) for FiOS service and special circuits.

b) If Ed's circuit came from a third party (AT&T, Covad, Century Link...whoever) Verizon would NOT run it over FiOS network...

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
You are correct. Our PRI is coming from Windstream.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
We have Verizon FiOS here in the office. One ONT, 8 lines and internet. I have seen Verizon put fiber in a building and then terminate it to copper interfaces for other carries to use. All the FiOS OSP here is nice and neat. I can't imagine any OSP foreman not allowing for proper termination. That would be a call back waiting to happen.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Originally Posted by Rcaman
I have seen Verizon put fiber in a building and then terminate it to copper interfaces for other carries to use. All the FiOS OSP here is nice and neat. I can't imagine any OSP foreman not allowing for proper termination. That would be a call back waiting to happen.

Rcaman

Hmm...
My understanding - which may very well be incorrect - is that FiOS in certain respects resembles the old "dedicated" SLC setup, so there's no way of allowing a CLEC dialtone on it since it's it's tied into today's equivalent of OE...

I've installed numerous DS1 circuits in the buildings which were equipped with so-called "business FiOS" and have yet to see any non-VZ service coming over it...

My $0.02 only...

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
I guess some places may have restrictions. I know, for a fact, that in this area of western PA, customers can and do have FiOS service and have CLEC service. We also have large services such as shopping malls and office complex that are fiber fed from Verizon and then terminated to copper transition patch blocks. Any and all CLEC services can be founnd on these installations.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
I've rarely seen orders to remove drops from houses, most the time its cut by a contractor (electrical, roofing, etc), LEC, or competing company.

Proactive cleanup is done by most company however You have to keep in mind the massive amount of techs it would take to double check every pole.

However making a complaint to a CLEC should be enough to get the drop removed if it posses any risk. I have been on a few of those after the recent ice storm here.

dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
These flappers in my area are Verizon technicians who simply are not spending the extra few minutes to cut closer to the splice. I do understand that the copper in this area is in poor shape and Verizon won't spend any more time than it has to on it because FiOS is available.

It would not shock me if Verizon abandons fiber if/when a suitable over the air system becomes available for residential/home office use.

I Love FEATURE 00
[Linked Image from scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net]

On the flipside you have this. I went to do a DSL install for a new customer a few weeks ago. I arrived onsite and saw there was no NID (well NIDs as there are two drops). Talked with the customer (renting an apartment) then talked with the landlord.

Landlord: Yeah I cut down the aerial drops and removed the NIDs as I thought no one would use a phone line again. But I did call the LEC before I did that and asked them to remove the drops and NIDs. They wanted $500 to do it, so I just cut off the drops myself and threw the NIDs out.

The LEC ended up having to go back out and install a new NID (a bonus for us lowly CLECs often times having to deal with 30+ yr old N.E. Tel NIDs that are corroded/weathered and falling apart and drop wires leaking signal badly). And because the old NIDs were on the opposite side of the house from the power meter, the LEC more than likely had to move the new drops to the other side of the house for grounding purposes (landlord cut the old ground wire that went to the cold water pipes in the basement flush with the siding). According to a coworker, the LEC should have charged the CLEC for T&M but most of the techs he said don't bother with paperwork.

Last edited by hawk82; 03/25/14 09:36 PM.
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
I'm wondering why the landlord wasn't fined by the LEC (Fairpoint?) for destruction of property.

Last edited by dexman; 03/25/14 09:46 PM.

I Love FEATURE 00
I think Fairpoint would have an easier time getting money out of the CLECs than the landlord who isn't a customer, meaning lots of paperwork, attorneys, etc. 10 or 15 years ago Bell Atlantic would have probably gone after the landlord for that. But those days are gone. And as a CLEC our hands are tied; we need a NID to connect a new customer, Fairpoint is happy to install one, and bill us for it. Not much we can do about it.

Last edited by hawk82; 03/26/14 09:23 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024