web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
haef Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All,

I've installed a TA824 & TVA50 in my SOHO. I'm trying to get it "tuned" for maximum user satisfaction.

Just curious if it is possible to change the navigation keys for subscriber service menu controls? I'm trying to get the system to more closely resemble VM systems my users are familiar with. I already know about optn 11,1, as well as the "hotel" optn. I'm willing to re-record the prompts, but I'm wondering if there is some tweaky way to change these key assignments?

On a similar note, is there a way to set "autoplay new messages" to simply autoplay the first new message? Rather than auto-play all of them strung together?

On the TA824 PT phones, if the "autoplay new messages" option is off for the mailbox, the message button will do just that: play first new message, and wait for subscriber action. That is great too, but now users can't figure out why the message button only works if they have new messages, but otherwise the message button does nothing and users must then dial the VM extension to access saved messages or change greetings.

I'd like the messages button to always take people into the VM system regardless if they have new messages or not. If I program messages as a speed dial key to the VM, then the autoplay first new message feature no longer functions. And keep in mind, turning on autoplay new messages on the TVA50 isn't acceptable due to its peculiar behavior noted above.

Any insights into how to tune all this would be appreciated!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I don't remember if this works on the 824, try speed key with
165P#6*XXXP (plus what it takes to play 1st messg.
Or 107 if you don't use 165.
May not need #6*.
May not need Pauses.
It's Been a while. Ex 107P#6*101P11

Try a lighted key for message. I don't remember if it works unlit.
I bet Carl knows.

You can make the hard MSG button a speed button to call VM if you have a phone with Ringer/Message light at top right, or use other mesg button with with that ext. for notification,

Last edited by brokeda; 05/24/14 02:50 PM.
haef Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestions, and making me feel less clueless, okay, actually a tiny bit proud that my attempts thus far are similar to what an actual telephone guy would do!

Re. lighted keys set as msg keys: Same problem as with the dedicated "message" button. New messages, the button works. No new messages, the button doesn't do anything, just gets a reorder tone. Tried "VM for another extension" option, has same problem.

So making an elaborate speed dial key is a great idea. I was headed down that path but unfortunately discovered a s.d. key can only spew out a number string of my choosing IF I am on a CO line. On the intercom, the system will only allow strings involving specific numbers, like extension #'s or CO access codes. So your idea might work on some Pana systems, but not the 824.

But this led to another idea: Loop an extension port into a CO port. Place that CO in an unused port group. Now I can create a s.d. key to grab the CO, dial the TVA50 port via the new extension port, and spew a string that gets the user all the way to first message playback.

Current vers. of this (spaces for clarity): 88 165 P #6*123# PP1P1
-grab special CO, in group 8
-dial vm extension 165 for vm access
-pause for TVA50 to answer
-during vm prompt, switch to subscriber mode & access mailbox 123 (no login pw for this test; s.d. keys can hold 24 digitis, so hiding a pw in a string might be a struggle))
-provide string with pauses (to allow subscriber to hear aural vm cues such as "you have 5 messages"), selects "new messages" and starts new messages to play.

I tried a test of this today, and so far so good. Other nice thing is that this scheme could be enabled on multiple keys on the main household phone, so everyone could get to their own mbox if you've got enough speedy keys. Wonder if it would work with system-wide s.d. commands. Then it wouldn't matter what phone a person was in front of; they could still use their special vm.

This is all pretty cool simply because I can, with a little help from my friends, get the 824+TVA50 experience to be tolerably intuitive and logical for my users, who just want stuff to work.

Looks like you are on your way. Good luck!!

Your thinking like a phone dude.

Last edited by brokeda; 05/27/14 03:21 AM.
OBT Offline
Admin
Admin
If your PBX has a Panasonic VPS connected using Inband (DTMF) integration, your PBX automatically sends a special signal to the Voice Mail port before connecting the caller. To enable this feature, it may be necessary to set the signal format required by your VPS before setting the Call Forwarding (FWD) destination to Voice Mail as follows:
–Setting A: only sends the extension number to the Voice Mail port. To set or cancel, enter "91#" or "90#" respectively after pressing the FWD/DND button or entering "71".
–Setting B (default): sends "#6" followed by the extension number. "#6" is used by a Panasonic KX-TVS series VPS/KX-TVA series VPS to force the VPS port into voice mail service. To set or cancel, enter "92#" or "90#" respectively after pressing the FWD/DND button or entering "71".
For more details, refer to "1.1.121 Voice Mail Inband (DTMF) Integration" in the Feature Manual.

when set it should bring you into your mailbox when you dial 107.
Like Brokeda, it is a while since I did one of these.

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
haef Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by brokeda
Looks like you are on your way. Good luck!!

Your thinking like a phone dude.

That's a good thing, right? wink

haef Offline OP
OP Offline
OBT, I'm using the APT integration option, which appears to be an out-of-band method. I'm not (that I know of) having any issues caused by 824+TVA integration. I think the things I'm trying to address are system design issues, peculiarities of the two different systems. And when they are attached to each other, the result is a bunch of features that are a little or a lot novel in their implementation and operation. But I'll not go off on a full-scale rant now.

But I would like to put another random question to you, Brokeda, and anyone else: Since I staxarted experimenting with the trick mentioned above re looping an extension port into a CO port, I noticed the CO port does not always reliably release after the extension port calling it disconnects.

This has sent me off on another tangent of getting to know CPC much better (thanks Mike Sandman!). I think I'm seeing that the extension ports don't generate CPC, just reorder-tonesl I need to study this further...

haef Offline OP
OP Offline
A random aside: Since I don't do communications professionally, I'm pondering my experience with the 824 & TVA.

From an installer perspective, I've found the Pana manuals to be a challenge, and the programming software a bit incoherent (though I thank the Lord I'm not programming it from a phone!).

From a user experience perspective, the 824 (with proprietary phones) veers between unintuitive, sometimes needlessly complicated, and sometimes oddly demanding.

Is the 824 in particular known for these traits, or is it the way of Pana biz phones in general? Or maybe it is just me being a simple guy...

No offense to any Panasonic fans (and I like Panasonic stuff overall!) but I'm curious if I'd find some other brand less/more/equally challenging. For instance, the last place I worked had Nortel gear, and I liked it, at least from a user perspective. For all I know, from an installer perspective Nortel equipment may be Hell on Earth to deal with.

Don't want to start any flames here. Just curious what different brands are known for amongst those of you selling and supporting such gear.

Admin
Admin
A random response: There's a well know laundry list of the things the 824 DOESN'T have. It was culture shock after they discontinued the TD series, a dealer only product that the wholesale houses sold to anybody, and the migration back to the TA series, which the 824 is a step up from the old KXT series.

With a fairly low street price, the 824 is a perfect system for the mom and pop shop, the restaurant, the very small 2 or 3 man shop, or the residential user with caller-id and central office based voicemail. As soon as you add a TVA to the mix, you get to experience the things the system won't do. The DISA card, or looping a station to a c.o. line is the only way you have a ring "group" but the station can't sense an abandoned call so you need a CPC controller to break the loop and you're paying a 3 dB penalty for that loop. A whole lot easier with the old TD or TDA box, but you lose CID to single line phones.

There are more "gotcha's."

Carl

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 163 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024