web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
richraf Offline OP
OP Offline
so this is a beginner question, as I have just started working on univerge sv8100. I feel like I'm missing something basic in the configuration. am attempting to add a new DT700 IP phone. System has 4 IP phone licenses and one active phone that is showing up under extensions and phone setup. here is what I have done:

1. goto ip phone basic setup (15-05). copy the 1 existing IP phone, thinking it will duplicate settings and allow me to add a new MAC. the copy operation doesn't allow me to add a new phone natively! it forces me to pick from an existing extension. so I look for another extension that is IP, only to find none. they are all MLT/SLT type.
2. so I think I need to find a free extension change its type to "IP". I goto system numbering (11-02) but nothing like this exists.
3. I look around for a way to modify the station port type, but cannot find it.

at this point, this becoming ridiculous;I could poke around on a cisco, digium, and others and get farther along than I have gotten so far. Im missing some way to get the basic station port or phone added or modified. Any ideas?

And why can I not see all 4 IP licenses as active on the sv8100? they are present in the licenses portion of the webgui.

And to ask again, how the hell do I introduce a new phone with a unique mac and then assign it an extension? smile

thx in advance,

Will

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

First off welcome to the forum. NEC requires it's techs to be certified for a reason. What you are trying to do is actually quite easy. The system will assign the next number that is not being taken by a physical port by a station card. Also you have to be aware of your max stations authentication as a system as a whole. If the ext is setup in the numbering plan the only thing you have to really do is program the phone.

richraf Offline OP
OP Offline
thx coral tech. I appreciate the certification piece. sometimes you just get thrown at things and need to piece it together. this system is definitely not so intuitive from these basic things.

so if im in 15-05, the new phone shows up to some degree (via its mac). seems like the sv8100 recognized it. in the top right of the webpro screen are the drop downs for the existing extensions. 101 is chosen by default. if I hit apply with the new phone MAC populated, wont it apply that to the 101 extension, which is already setup?

which options are required to program the phone as you mention above?

well you need PC Pro for a start to assign the IP extension port, also there is config in the actual handset menu configuration required. Also port capacity on the system needs to be checked.

Its not as simple as just copying data from an existing phone ( once the handset is configured then yes key data etc etc can be copied ).

Like coral tech said - Its a simple thing to do if you know how to and are certified.

"just been thrown" this task you said ? Are you a comms/Telecommunications tech for a start? Like do you work on other phone systems? Or just a customer attempting to do this?

Last edited by bully; 06/01/14 07:20 PM.
You should not be doing anything in 15-05.

Ham Offline
If you are using WebPro you can not "activate" unregisterd Ip Phones in order for you to see them in every drop down box in the entire system like a MLT Phone which is associated to a actual card therefore the phone doesnt have to be "registered" in order to see it.
ONce a phone is registered to the system you will be able to see that extension in the drop down boxes.
One way to figure out where the next IPPhone will get its "Extension Number" so you can program this into the phone,is to look at all of your physical cards including the Voicemail and look to see what the next port# would be(this is porbably the port your first IP Phone is assigned too) this is where you need to assign an extension number to that port or any port above that, setup your IpPhone to that extension number and presto you have a 2nd IP Phone assigned, meaning its registered but still has to be assigned CAP keys and everything else that goes into setting up a phone.,
now like the guys said Certifications are big deal in the NEC world for the simple fact these things are covered in the training courses, there are several ways to get a IpPhone programed, the above steps are assuming you know your way around the system on a basic level of Programing a 8100 , Ip Phones and Sip Extensions are very simple to setup on a Local Network, provided you have those steps.
This is a easy setup and like they said NO 15-05 programing unless its related to a Phone Offsite and then you really need to know some things, the Phone has to be registered to the system first and then there is a process of setting it up, but if you start messing around with 15-05 and coying around stuff you could hose up that process and have no ip phones working, 90-23 will allow you to ONLY de-register the phone from the system clearing those options out and allowing you to re-register a phone..

I am the Big Ham and I approve this message.
First, thank you for hosting this Web forum, all the information that is available to not only certified technicians but those that get thrown into a roll of phone administrator by their manager for whatever reason.

I have been in IT for over twenty years, and high tech in the Air Force for 20 years before that. I have always tried to assist ANY user that asks how to do something. I am an Avaya Certified G3R Administrator and even with my background the NEC SV8100 PCPro or WebPro are so poorly written, like a tabbed spreadsheet instead of a relational database, making finding event he simplest of tasks difficult.

I read a very disturbing post, from Coral Tech, in response to a basic question on how to configure a phone on an NEC SV8100 that should have been an easy answer for even a beginner to use and get their question answered. The response was very snarky and did no good in assisting the user.

If this site is doing as it says and removes posts that do not help, that should be the first to go. It added no value to the forum at all.

Also, there are techs on here that will assist and then delete the posts, in an effort to hide what they did perhaps, instead of leaving them up there for other’s references and use. I am sure that there are enough customers out there that will pay for assistance, however, not every company can pay for service and are looking to keep their equipment up and running.

Shame on you, Coral Tech, for not assisting when called upon for help. You are not elite and are truly not a support professional.

Last edited by USAF1914; 04/07/16 01:27 PM.
Richraf, To add a IP phone to a SV8100 is pretty simple,the system will assign the next extention on its own using DHCP. The only problem is you have to program the sip server IP address through the phone and you need a password to do this. After the phone registers to the system,all you have to do is program the buttons, ringing,voice mail.I haven't been here for awhile,but i do remember that giving passwords here is a No/No.

Good Luck let us know how it works out.

"The only stupid question is the one not asked"

Last edited by Rickman60; 04/07/16 02:43 PM.

"The Only Stupid Question, Is the Question Thats not Asked."
Originally Posted by USAF1914
First, thank you for hosting this Web forum, all the information that is available to not only certified technicians but those that get thrown into a roll of phone administrator by their manager for whatever reason.

I have been in IT for over twenty years, and high tech in the Air Force for 20 years before that. I have always tried to assist ANY user that asks how to do something. I am an Avaya Certified G3R Administrator and even with my background the NEC SV8100 PCPro or WebPro are so poorly written, like a tabbed spreadsheet instead of a relational database, making finding event he simplest of tasks difficult.

I read a very disturbing post, from Coral Tech, in response to a basic question on how to configure a phone on an NEC SV8100 that should have been an easy answer for even a beginner to use and get their question answered. The response was very snarky and did no good in assisting the user.

If this site is doing as it says and removes posts that do not help, that should be the first to go. It added no value to the forum at all.

Also, there are techs on here that will assist and then delete the posts, in an effort to hide what they did perhaps, instead of leaving them up there for other’s references and use. I am sure that there are enough customers out there that will pay for assistance, however, not every company can pay for service and are looking to keep their equipment up and running.

Shame on you, Coral Tech, for not assisting when called upon for help. You are not elite and are truly not a support professional.

First of all nice resume on a 2 year old topic thread. I'm sorry you are unable to figure a system as easy as the NEC is. I have no idea why you are personally attacking me (on a 2 year old topic thread). I have helped many people over my many years here on this forum that have asked for it within reason. I'm not quite sure why on one of your first posts here you decided to do this but the post has been duly reported. Have a nice day and remember every day is a chance to learn.

USAF1914,

The reply Coral Tech made two years ago is quite appropriate in this general forum. It is simply the policy of this site to only provide information that can be found in a user's guide or the manufacturer's on-line documentation available to the public.

"Not every company can pay for service" is not an excuse to attack a valuable contributer and installer for providing the forum's approved answer.

When it comes to actual programming, the policy of this site is to NOT provide step by step programming in the general forums. If you are not happy with the site's rules, then this is not the place for you.

Thank you, Coral Tech for providing the appropriate answer to a question regarding system programming.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 124 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024