web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#572485 05/31/14 10:18 AM
mthomas Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm looking at various voip phone systems and i've received quotes from several vendors. I'm trying to understand why a Cisco UCCX solution would costs 3 times the price of another solution (Vertical Wave IP) which is a single box solution, but two boxes for redundancy.

Both solutions are similar in setup with 125 sets total across 5 locations, two systems for redundancy, call center, mobile apps, call recording, call, tree, etc. The major difference is Vertical Wave IP says we can use our existing routers at the 4 locations while Cisco says they need to be upgraded.

Thank you for your feedback.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I'll title this answer "why not a Cisco UCCX solution"

Cisco phone systems will always cost you more. They go end of life every 5 years. They require a subscription to keep software images current, even if they are so buggy that your voicemail gets corrupted. You'll need to hire a Cisco VAR to take care of the system who employs at least a CCVP, CCNP, or CCIE.

The VAR may end up hiring a telephone man to come out and do simple things like, well, cross connect a phone line to the system. The VAR may sell you a $5,000 "paging server" because CCVP's and CCNP's aren't trained on FXS/SLT/LS ports that can easily be used with industry standard paging equipment. The VAR will insist that you upgrade all switches and routers to Cisco brand, and they will probably insist on SmartNet contracts for those too. In short, they'll want you to be a full Cisco shop "or else the phones might not work".

There are loads of examples of all I mentioned...run a Google search or just browse the Cisco forum here.

If you have the Cisco certs or employ someone who does, you might be fine. Otherwise, and this is my two cents only...hire a real telephone man who will sell you a real telephone system.

Hackbarth Communications, L.L.C. - Serving South Central Wisconsin's Telecom Needs
hacky #572807 06/08/14 04:15 PM
You nailed that one. I recently got a request for proposal to install a E911 server at a Cisco shop. Cisco's solution to a situation where you have multiple sites sharing common SIP trunks and you legally need to broadcast each unique address when you make a 911 call is to sell you 5,000.00 worth of software which must be run on a dedicated server. My method is to simply install a analog line with a local dialing plan only at each site and create a call route to use that line when you dial 911. All you need is an FXO card. Cisco does not officially approve of that method.

I lose a lot of sales to Cisco VARs because they have convinced everyone that Cisco is the best. It is anything but the best. The firmware in the phones is terribly buggy. Cisco demands you upgrade and when you do all of a sudden your stable system is a nightmare of glitches. Cisco's response? "Wait until the next rev." Cisco employs what they call the "premium pricing model." Meaning the entire Cisco market is geared to choke as much money out of you a possible. Cisco is easily the most expensive and the whole "premium pricing" model Cisco uses means you will be re-buying that system every year you own it. Just installing it is the beginning of your problems. Don't even think about it unless you have at least one dedicated and certified manager to maintain it or your consulting fees will bankrupt the company.

If you have to have VoIP internally go with an Avaya IP Office. Much cheaper to buy, cheaper to own, more stable, more flexible being a rue hybrid, easier to manage and will blow the doors off anything else out there.

A lot of horror stories about Cisco.

Avaya IP does not blow any other system out of the water, they compete, nothing more.

We get old too soon, smart too late
Beg to differ. The way it can be scaled up is almost unique. At 19% market share they compete very well.

Jack,

If you read what I said you can see clearly I wrote the IP office competes, what you wrote prior is the IP office blows the doors off anything else out there, I beg to differ on that!

We get old too soon, smart too late

Moderated by  5years&counting 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024