web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi - just a quick question re: purchasing a used vms(4) u10/13 off ebay.

I purchased a used ipx system with 11 handsets for $220 and am contemplating getting a voice mail card.

I understand the vms hdd based ones regularly fail and the fms flash based ones are not much better. If i could backup/clone the storage however it would be worthwhile. I could purchase a vms 4 port on ebay for $130 and backup the hdd so when it does fail eventually i could just replace it with a cloned one.

Now the problem is the activation codes. I have read previous posts on this topic where users have cloned a hdd on an elite 48 system and everything has worked. The only problem is that if they had an 8 port vm, then it would require the activation code to reenable the 4 extra ports.

Other posts have said that when they tried cloning their hdd or flash to another drive, cosession would ask for an activation code upon logging in. Tis might be for an ipk system which i have so im a bit nervous about this.

Given that the system (ipk) is long discontinued and not supported by nec, if i were to purchase a hdd based vms and if i were to clone it to a new hdd, would nec provide the authorisation code if required? How else could i get a working vms code if nec dont provide one? Would it make a difference if i get a fms flash based vm?

I am contemplating getting a used 4 port vms with 6 month warranty vs. a 4 port sli card ($70) with 2 digital answering machines. Of course the digital answering machines wont be as integrated but it will last for 2+ years given that sli cards are quite stable.

I really would like to get the vms but what happens if i get the authorisation code request?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I don't know about regularly fail but hard drives are only rated for 4/5 years use from a hardware standpoint on anything. I mean how critical is the phone system where you are installing it?

I will assume that the system you purchased is an IPK not an IPX and that was a typo. You cannot get licensing for that system anymore. It is long since discontinued. If the VM is that important and you need 8 ports, I suggest you stop with eBay and buy one from a refurbishing/reselling outfit. Many offer some kind of warranty and they will be licensed for what you need. The pricing is not too bad on them.

I agree with 'helpifican' 100%. But, if you just have to put a voicemail on that system and can find one already licensed, make sure it's an Elitemail LX (Linux Version). There might still be some out there. The firmware version on the IPK would have to be at the latest and the VM Card has to be a U40, I believe.

OP Offline
OK thanks with your help guys. Ive purchased a used fms(2) u10/13 and hope to get it next week. First thing ill be doing is resetting it to factory defaults then tryto clone the flashcard onto another 64mb sandisk.

Its a bit worrying to see that the make busy switch was in the on position in the ebay photos however! Ill guess ill find out soon enough.

Also, just one more question, is it possible to order the 2 to 4 port upgrade anymore? From the technician manual, it says to type in 'activate' from c:\vmail followed by the activation code. Is this code specific to the fms card serial number? i.e. when ordering the 4 port upgrade, does nec need to know the serial number or is a generic random activation code that in theory can be used on multiple fms's?

Getting back to the OP: Is it possible to back up the flash card that stores the VM?

We had the HDD-based system for 10+ years before our drive finally died and we were sold the flash-based card. We are a small organization, but my boss would argue her vms are mission critical. If I could back those up regularly, we could capture the ones she misses when she is out of the office.

Ideas? Thanks!

Just get a VM that sends wav file to E mail, archive those.
Don't need to backup anything.

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Toner), 133 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024