Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
This will be a running thread which I will up date here in the op with new information.

1. Well the first thing I discovered is that the reset button on this system is a pin hole on the right side of the KSU. I have not decided if that is a good thing or not.

2. Unlike the SBX the cover has screws but they don't have to remain in the unit. The cover gently snaps on and off. That would be very helpful if the reset button were inside the cabinet!

3. I had a fit when my Asus Ebook running XP with Chrome would not load the programming interface from the Summit. I could log on but the install wizard would not load...PMO something awful and I don't have a bad temper, well not usually. Once I uninstalled Ad-Aware (which I am or should say was using because Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer supported) I was able to talk to the Summit. My Win 7 tablet had no problem at all. It uses Windows Defender and no third party Anti-Virus is installed. The screen resolution is higher on it and that is a big plus...unlike my XP netbook, I don't have to scroll the whole screen at 1280x800 which is the minimum resolution I suggest using when programming the Summit.

Why do anti-virus programs behave as bad as viruses? I uninstalled Kaspersky off all my Win 8.1 machines...it was bogging them down and killing Microsoft office. However I diverse.

3. The install wizard which comes up the first time you log on to the Summit is helpful...when setting the flexible numbering (and you need to do that right off the bat) the numbers are attached to an index...number 1 is station 100, 2 is 101 and so on. The default numbers are a bit strange due to the fact that four slts are on the first card so if you have an 8x16 system the system defaults the numbers so that the first 8 digital stations are 100 thru 107 and the four sts are 108 to 111 and the next digital station, which is the first port on the expansion card, is numbered 112. I used the wizard to renumber them so that the digitals did not have a gap. You first delete the number you want to move, ie delete 108, save it and then change 112 to 108.

3. Line keys with no active line constantly blink but only on station 100. The other phones the lights are steady. Move the inactive lines to group 21 and change the flex button programming to N/A. Unlike with the SBX it is best not to leave an unactive line key for the future because no one wants to stare at a light that is on all the time.

4. When you decide to quit programming for any reason LOG OFF! If you don't and you sign on with a different browser or PC the interface will come up in Read Only mode. You will have to log on with the original laptop and browser or reset the system.

5. Unless I missed it using the install wizard, the mailboxes do not have a default password. You have to program them. Unlike the SBX the users will not be able to access the box without a password. The system asks for station number and password when you hit the callback or voice mail button or dial 440 (hey its nice to be able to do that again!) You do have to program the voice mail group to be 440 or 401 or 402 but you don't enter the extension numbers because there aren't any of course.

Last edited by Derrick; 09/09/14 07:24 AM.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
For #3, if I remember correctly you can toggle the unused lines "out of service" at the attendant station by dialing PGM 072, then pressing the appropriate line key. However, I think they still flash at the attendant phone.

For #4, check the setting for the Web Password Guard Timer.

Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by nfcphoneman
For #3, if I remember correctly you can toggle the unused lines "out of service" at the attendant station by dialing PGM 072, then pressing the appropriate line key. However, I think they still flash at the attendant phone.

For #4, check the setting for the Web Password Guard Timer.

Okay, I will do that.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Time for a new entry.

I learned a few things today, some I already knew.

for instance, the documentation can be too vague, meaning some features this thing has are just not explained.

What exactly does the language type do? You have to enter that choice 1-6 when recording a custom greeting. I played with it and tried a couple of choices and did not notice any changes.

The web based programming is a bit more intuitive and sensible than the admin program for the SBX, however I kept forgetting to check the box for the item I was changing as opposed to un-checking a lot of boxes on the SBX.

The grouping is a lot better, meaning voice mail options are in one pgm as opposed to three or four.

The option for enter mailbox number and password to retrieve messages is cool, especially when the staff wants to set up voice mail boxes before the system is installed. My customer is doing just that and once the system is in place, I will change that to password only.

As stated before having a voice mail group extension number again is a big plus.

I still can't figure out what kind of wiring scheme I want to use when changing an STS to this system. Do I cut the end off the 25 pair and put mod plugs on it? Do I buy the install cable and cut it down? Do I use a number of four pair pig tails? I am open for suggestions and pictures.

www.myrandomviews

I always use Language Type 1. I'm assuming the others are for multilingual setups, which I've never had to do on this system or the IPECS.

We just make our own cable. We make it for 16 digital extensions, plus the 4 analog extension, and the MOH/Page/Etc port. I can email you the layout, if you PM your address.

Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
I finished my Summit install this morning. The customer likes the phones and the system so far. They feel comfortable with it.

Some more observations.

The tech docs that we received in cert class include setting up Caller ID for analog (copper,POTS) lines. The document leaves out one step. Make sure in CO attributes you set a 4 second ring delay or the caller id will not show up until after the call is answered.

The default co ring tone is very irritating....my customer changed it right after the first call.

You cannot transfer a call into voice mail without using the transfer key.

The system defaulted button 24 on the phones to ring to group 440 which is the group number I choose for VSF voice mail.

If you want to remove a phone from co ring assingments after putting it in, range it using the extension number and leave the delay field empty. Save and the assignment will be deleted.

The wiring scheme was a bit different especially for the cos. It would be easier with my old eyes if pin 3 were not left unused. 8 pin jack for two cos and pins 1,3, 4,5 are the ones used. Its no big deal but still.

Database download defaults to the desktop and you should rename the file before you save it or you just might overwrite a previous download from a different site if you don't.

If you install a Summit using Edge 700 phones make sure you apply the little add on label that comes in a little zip lock bag in the box with the phone. This matches the top four fixed feature keys to the features of the Summit instead of the Wave. Without that label, some features will make no sense at all.

At this point the Bluetooth option works with the Summit IP phone only, it should work with the Edge 700 BT module next release.

Last edited by Derrick; 09/11/14 06:01 PM.

www.myrandomviews

Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
It has been a week since the system was installed, not a peep from my customer. I called them and they are pleased with it after having an STS for ten years.

www.myrandomviews

Moderated by  EV607797, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,848
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,658 Shoretel
189,555 CTX100 install
187,814 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Touch Tone Tommy), 157 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024