web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I recently got another WE Design Line phone and went to plug it in. I realized I couldn't dial out, and found out somewhere down the line the polarity has been reversed.
Obviously older touch tone pads didn't have polarity guards and were polarity sensitive, but HOW did it get reversed?

I opened the demarc and all is as it should be, tip to tip, ring to ring, as well as throughout the house. (I wired it and I'm a stickler with polarity.) This is one of the Uverse "Inid" boxes, but our phone is regular POTS, not uverse VOIP. Could the iNID have somehow switched it's polarity, or is it likely some tech removed the pair further down and reattached it wrong? Last I checked the lines, it was correct, and no new work has been done on the lines in the house.

This isn't a major issue, I can just put polarity guards in the phones with issues, but I would like to have the polarity coming in be correct.

Will G.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Did you check at the NID that ring really was ring? If all is wired correctly from the NID in it's either reversed incoming or in the phone itself.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
it is in fact reversed at the NID, the green is showing as ring and the red as tip. Using a polarity checker at the NID, and every outlet in the house, it's showing reversed.

Will G.
Then I'd reverse it at the NID so all inside wiring is correct, you sure aren't going to get the LEC to change it.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
No kidding, that's what I'll do, not even going to attempt calling em, doubt the person I'd talk to would even understand me or have a clue what tip and ring were!

Will G.
It got reversed anywhere from the CO to your NID by technicians who were never trained to ensure that polarity was correct from one end to the other. Several friends of mine who collect and operate old phones put a DPDT switch right after the NID so that they can just go down to the basement periodically and reset the polarity when Mother's little helpers switch things around out in the field.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
That's what I figured, just switched it and it's good now.

Will G.
I've had to reverse polarity on more than one occasion to get my 1A2 keysets to dial. Good idea with the DPDT switch, Uncle Arthur!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,851
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,659 Shoretel
189,557 CTX100 install
187,829 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 156 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024