Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kimmyp Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Guys

I need to wire up a hotel of 11 floors for voice only.The client does not want CAT 5 and wants to use analogue phones.

The server room is at the ground floor.

I am thinking if I use a 50 pair telco cable up a riser and if each floor has like 8 rooms,do I take 8 pairs at floor one and then send the rest up or do
I cut off the entire 50 pair at floor one and then use joiners to go up again.

Any advice would be appreciated guys.

thanks
Kimmy

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Well, if you take 8 pairs at the first floor, and continue to do that at each floor, you will run out of pairs at the 6th floor.

You should allow, at an absolute minimum, two pairs per room.

Are the vertical lines of rooms in the hotel in a standard stack, that is, are all the "1" rooms (101, 201, 301, 401, etc,) exactly over one another?

If there are 11 floors, and you need 2 pairs per floor, that's 22 pairs per line of rooms. I would drill a route from the top "number 1" room, (let's call it 1101) down through closets in rooms 1001, 901, 801, etc, until you can create a route to an MDF. I would run a 25 pair (actually, I would run a 50, but that's me) and by slitting the sheath at each room's closet, extract two pairs per room, and terminate them on an old-fashioned screw-terminal 42A block.

The slit needs to be a foot long, to allow you to extract and cut the pairs you need, and then you need to get some light olive gray electrical tape from the nearest supply locker, to repair the slit...oh wait...I guess you have to use black. The lockers all closed in 1984.

Then repeat for the "2" line, the "3" line, etc. You will have eight, 25-pair cables at the MDF, requiring four 66M50 blocks, not a very large footprint to place in a basement telephone room.

New York Telephone Company used a scheme for high-rise apartment buildings as follows: (assume 25 apts per line, maximum.)

Run a 50-pair from the basement though the 1st floor, 2nd floor, etc, apt closets, all the way to the top floor. Slit the sheath in each closet, and extract the white/blue pair in the first binder, and the white/blue pair in the second binder, to feed the apt on the #1 floor. Terminate them on a block in the first closet. Now do the same in every apt going up. (Two white/orange pairs in the 2nd floor apt, etc.) The number of the floor corresponds to the pair number, making trouble-shooting easy. Example...16th floor?...yellow/blue pairs in the blue binder and the orange binder. Repeat as necessary for all the apt lines.

At the points where you have extracted two pairs, you cut-off (rather than bridge-on) so that the unused portion of each pair is not energized. This prevents trouble beyond (above) the room, and also allows you to swap pairs around for maintenance reasons.

*** If there are pairs of rooms on a floor with either back-to-back closets, or a similar architectural feature, you can run a 50-pair and pop through a party wall to feed the two adjacent rooms, this saves some drilling. Just remember to keep the color code as standard as you can.***

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

The other way to do it is to run a 25-pair horizontally, along the top of the hallway walls. At the top of each doorway to a room, slit the sheath, and extract two pairs, drill into the room above the door, and run a quad or two-pair from the splice outside the door to the telephone location in the room. This works well in an older building, where there is a molding detail along the top of the wall. It also works well where the rooms do not line up vertically, or there is some reason you can't drill down in a vertical line.

The 25-pair needs to go back to a point on the floor where it can interconnect to a riser, either in a small splice box, or on a 66 block in a janitor's closet on each floor or similar.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Kimmy, you have more to think about!

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Cabling method in a building like this is, at a minimum, a ten-year decision. At a minimum, I would run a cat5 from each room to an IDF on "every second" floor - so and IDF on floors 1, 3, 5 & 7 - yielding 16 rooms per IDF. I would then run a 25-pr from each IDF to MDF.
While it is true that hotel phones were once a profit center, and are now just another expense, the cabling can be used for many many other things.

Kimmyp Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys for all the feedback

I may be a little late I service the cabling for 6 large hotels in North Jersey they are 400 to 500 rooms each. All the hotels are cut to left and right side then on each 3rd floor we have a IDF with all room cables going to the IDF. Rooms on floors 1,2 and 3 go to 1st floor,. rooms on floors 4,5 and 6 go to IDF on floor 4 and sofar
Neil

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,454 Shoretel
188,306 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (newtecky), 134 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024