web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
To solve the "Great Mystery" most of the techs that did that were used to having 10VAC lamp voltage on the second pair for "Princess" phones and, later, the light in the handset phones. They would make sure no "foreign" voltage could accidentally be applied to the voice circuit by snipping the other leads.

Personally, I always carried some insulating sleeves (Known here abouts as "Spaghetti") to insulate and store unused leads.

I was in the union for many years and I never saw a difference between union or non union 42A terminations. There would be no reason for this to be a union issue.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Them dang basement transformers that no one bothered to unplug, and the owner who didn't know what it was.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Originally Posted by 1864
Them dang basement transformers that no one bothered to unplug, and the owner who didn't know what it was.
I find it amazing how often we run into this. From aux power to 1A2 systems that haven't been in service for 20 years, yet still have the power supply running. A lotta coal is burned to keep those power supplies warm.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by Rcaman
I was in the union for many years and I never saw a difference between union or non union 42A terminations. There would be no reason for this to be a union issue.

Rcaman

I interviewed a potential tech once. He told me he was given a hard time once when as a union employee he didn't take a lunch break when he had a monstrous outage because he wanted to get the customers back up and running.

I would imagine it is that type of stuff that leads to the earlier anti-union comments.

Obviously there are outstanding workers along with horrible workers in unions just like the workers outside of unions.

Absolutely! Sure, I can tell many union horror stories, but, just as many relating to non union work. People are people whether in the union or not.

Western PA is the hotbed of unionism. Because of the coal barons and the steel company owners who put profit ahead of human life, the unions were born to protect human life and make some sort of level playing field when it came to compensation. If you read the history of the early "industrialization" of America, there are absolute barbaric conditions in which people were forced to work. I know, first hand, as my grandfathers endured literal slavery working in mines and mills.

The unions were good. But, as in all things, greed and the lust for power has corrupted everything. I salute my brother union workers, however, I have no tolerance for those hiding behind the union to be lazy, incompetent or just plain malevolent.

All of this can be applied to non union workers as well.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Well put. There is greed and corruption in all walks of life, no one group has a lock on either.

Retired phone dude
Cepega Offline OP
OP Offline
Correct me if I am wrong, aren't the terminals on assuming it was a new jack come already screwed in to its posts to begin with. So chances of a possible short slim no none I would think.

No, these "Bell System" 42A Jacks came with the leads unbridled, meaning, they were loose. This was done so the installer did not have to deal with a cover getting in the way when installing.

The back mounting, with the screws, was mounted to the surface, the JKT or telephone cable attached to the appropriate screws and then the leads were connected. In some instances, the green and yellow leads were connected together to make the ringer work. In other, more rural areas, there might be a ground wire along with the tip and ring for different ringer connections and there were harmonic, synchromonic, and decimonic ringers used as well that, in some areas, required either a tip to yellow or ring to yellow connections. Look Here

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
I hated them jacks.

Last edited by 1864; 04/17/15 01:47 AM.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Well, lets go back a couple of light years to the non-modular days when the phones had spade ends and the JKT had to be stripped back and wrapped on the screw terminals. Did at least a million in the old hotel/motel days.Then you had the guys ringing up your number to get you with ringing voltage while you were wrapping the wire around the lugs. Ah, those were the days.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,454 Shoretel
188,308 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024