web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Been many years since I was here. Guess the account was purged or something since the ID didn't work.

Also been many years since I worked on Vodavi key systems.

Had some pieces and parts left over when I started changing things in this house. 66 Blocks, bridge clips, protectors and what not.

So, if you want to stop reading, so be it.

If you're still reading, cool. Here's the deal:

Incoming CO line goes to 66 Block with the old style Siemens sneak fuses, then out to a PortaSystems 6 port protector with gas fuses. Then back to the 66 block for connection to the inside wiring.

Took a lighting hit last night (second one in 15 years or so). This one blew the sneak fuse across the utility room. Found the plastic, now blackened, but no sign of the fuses. That wasn't unexpected.

Bigger issue is the PortaSystem block. Both hits over the years blew the connected port, not the gas fuse. Found out last time by changing the fuses with no results. Had to change ports. Same thing last night. Now down to 4 good ports out of the original 6.

Any idea why? Isn't that was the gas fuses are supposed to do?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

You didnt mention grounding, is there a place to ground block and is there a ground on it?

Also are all grounds bonded to each other? Sounds like maybe not.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
PortaSystem block is tied to a ground rod outside that the main circuit panel is tied to. Pretty sure the NIB is tied to the same rod.

We have covered bonging extensively in other posts. It is essential that the telephone company ground at their NID, the inside protection that you have provided and the building electrical ground and metallic water pipe (if any) all be bonded together.

Lightning is one of the most destructive force in nature. The job of containing up to a billion volts is not possible. Things get really scary if you take a direct hit or, even, if the hit is a few miles away and travels down the electric or telephone copper.

Be thankful you have blown up pieces of protection and blown ports. Those little devices saved your house and, quite possibly, you from disaster.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
OP Offline
^^ Well, I've held the discussion here to the phone related stuff and haven't gotten into all the other failed devices.

I don't really know how it came in since there are also electrical items that were not connected to the phone lines at all. I'll probably be in the $1,000 range.

Quick stroll outside doesn't find anything obvious like tree damage. Haven't had a chance to ask any of the neighbors yet if they got hit. This is a rural area and houses are 1/4 - 1/2 mile apart so they may or may not have been. If it hit the power or phone poles somewhere, I'd think they might be.

Last edited by CountyTechie; 07/30/15 10:30 AM.
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
You mentioned having an ID from years ago. What is it? We can look to find it.

I Love FEATURE 00
OP Offline
Same one.

Would have been 2005 or so. When I tried to log in using the ID and PW (pulled from old files that are still accurate), the error screen said the ID didn't exist.

Doesn't really matter. I'm just curious about why this PortaSystems block is failing the way it has twice.

Porta Systems Model 504 PX2

Attached Images
6949t300.jpg
It does matter if you have an existing registration for a couple reasons, we like to keep all post by a member together and only one registration per member is allowed.

Please check your PM's I do see an existing member of CountyTech who registered in 2005 with 75 post. Respond to my PM and if that's you I'll PM you the email it was registered under, if you don't remember it. Also if it's you we'll merge the two together under your original user name.

Retired phone dude
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Will, is that you?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,295
Posts638,837
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,643 Shoretel
189,529 CTX100 install
187,783 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, Soulece), 115 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024