web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello, I have been tasked with trying to find out why when we put someone on hold using our NEC Aspire telephone system, there is a horrible distorted whining/whirring sound which makes the hold recording sound terrible.

We are a using a music on hold player (Tru Serenity) and it doesn't seem to be a problem with that device or the wire connecting it to the system as when we remove the wire from the music on hold player the recording stops but the distorted whining/whirring continues.

Does anyone have any idea where I could start looking to solve this issue?

Thank you

Rikki

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I have seen this happen before. Assuming you are using the MOH input on the processor card - the circuit can fail and you will get a noisy music on hold.

You could try switching the music to the background music (BGM) input on the processor card - but then you do have to make a couple changes in system programming to get the MOH to look at that input.

As a third alternative - you can input MOH to a device called a PGDAD - which does not use the processor card input. That requires that you purchase that device, and some additional programming.

I would try connecting to the BGM input. You are probably wasting your time on the MOH input - I would guess it's shot.

OP Offline
Thank you, I assumed that was the case.

The MOH player is currently connected to the C16 port on the NTCPU card. Is the BGM port the C17 port? That is currently empty.

For now I have set it to "internal source" for the MOH and it is fine, no distortion but ideally we would like to use our custom recording stored on the MOH player if possible via the workaround you mentioned.

Edit: According to this document ( NEC Hardware Manual ) in section 4-7, to install the BGM external source we also have to connect via the C16 port.

Last edited by ecohomes; 07/20/15 05:21 AM.
It's the same port - just different pins. CN16 is an 8 pin connector. You are currently inputting on pins 2 and 7. BGM input is on pins 3 and 6.

Then, in program 14-08-01, change the source selection to BGM.

OP Offline
Thank you, sorry for the late reply.

I won an auction for a full replacement NEC Aspire system on Ebay for £15 which is full of cards, including the NTCPU card. I would like to try changing the CPU card out and seeing if that solves the problem (If this one even works as it said it powers on but unable to test). It just arrived today.

What steps do I need to take to swap them out?

I have a backup of the config using Aspire GE PCPro 7.14. Is it just a case of powering off the unit and swapping the CPU cards and then uploading the backed up config? Is there anything I need to worry about like IP address etc? Currently ours is running on 192.168.1.50.

You should be able to do that - but make sure the processor cards are exactly the same. There are variations. And verify which PAL chip the original and replacement processor have. Upgrading ports and having certain features requires that the default PAL chip be swapped out. You can find all that in the hardware manual. You'll also want to be sure the new porcessor is at the same software level as the one you are replacing.

I would default the new processor first - then you will need to connect to it on the default IP address to upload your database.

After that, and a reboot - your system should be restored.

Good Luck!!!

OP Offline
The CPU cards both have the same model number 'IP1E-NTCPU-A1' that is the number I'm looking for correct?

The system is running and in use at the moment so not able to check the PAL chips match yet. The new PAL chip is IP1E-PALA-ST1 but has a sticker overlayed with 991352-5 on it.

Is this Aspire Hardware Manual 406 The manual that I need?

Also when you say "same software level" is that the firmware version? i.e. PC Programming : 6.21 (GE Release, M/L) that it says on the WebPro interface?

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Yes - what you see in PC programming as far as the software version should be the same. At least, the replacement processor should be at or above the version of the one you are replacing.

Yes - that is the correct hardware manual. Look at pages 2-8 and 2-14 for info on the PAL. If they're not the same, just swap the PAL out of your exisiting processor......

OP Offline
The original software is 6.21 and the new board only has 2.20 installed. I read that I need a PCMCIA flash card to upgrade the software, so I will order one and I will also order a PCI-E to PCMCIA reader but do you have any idea where I can download the software update?

I cannot seem to find it online anywhere, or is it possible to make a backup of the 6.21 version when I have a PCMCIA flash card? Or is there somewhere I can get the latest version and update both to the latest software?

Thanks for your help.

Software is available to NEC certified techs on the Aspire website.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,803
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,059 CTX100 install
187,410 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, SamsungCat), 111 guests, and 422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024