Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#592059 08/13/15 10:34 AM
OP Offline
Good morning everybody.

I have a peculiar situation going on. I was notified of this issue about a month ago. I've been through all of my documentation, and even spoke with a few colleagues, but haven't been able to come up with a resolution. I'm hoping somebody out there has come across something like this, and can maybe point me in the right direction.

I have an SX-200 ICP running 5.0 software, and everytime the PBX interface resynchronizes between the property management system, and the phone system, every guest room gets a call. The last time this happened was just a couple days ago, and the guests got a call at 4 am, which leaves them slightly upset. Checking the logs doesn't come up with anything that seems beneficial. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

No man ever yet became great by imitation.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Okay, that's an interesting one.

Since it's ICP, you're using the EMEM voicemail, so it shouldn't be a message light resync... Would hurt to check form 49 anyway.

Also, you should check form 34, and make sure that none of the outputs are pointed at a ring group.

If it's neither of those -- I assume that the PMS link is serial? -- you'll want to monitor the serial traffic between the two systems. See what the PMS is sending to the PBX.

As a workaround, you can change your PMS sync time to 9 PM.

OP Offline
Thanks for the input. I have checked form 49, and found nothing in regards to message light resync, unless I'm missing something, and with regards to form 34, all outputs are pointed to extensions.

Would the sync time for PMS that you refer to be setup by the PMS company? I ask because that is new information that I have never heard of, and it would make sense with the phone going off at 4 AM in more than one occasion. I did notice that the logs are being flooded with Alarm Code 146, and since I've designated answer points, in hopes that it is along the same lines as code 166, I haven't seen any new messages in the logs regarding alarm codes.

Any other thoughts?

PMS systems also do wake up calls.... smile

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Originally Posted by PhoneN3WB
Thanks for the input. I have checked form 49, and found nothing in regards to message light resync, unless I'm missing something, and with regards to form 34, all outputs are pointed to extensions.

Would the sync time for PMS that you refer to be setup by the PMS company? I ask because that is new information that I have never heard of, and it would make sense with the phone going off at 4 AM in more than one occasion. I did notice that the logs are being flooded with Alarm Code 146, and since I've designated answer points, in hopes that it is along the same lines as code 166, I haven't seen any new messages in the logs regarding alarm codes.

Any other thoughts?
Yes, PMS sync would be set by the PMS company.

Alarm code 146 doesn't ring a bell with me -- what does it say in the logs when that happens?

My next step, personally, would be to contact the PMS company and try to arrange a vendor meet.

Or you can hook up a PC on the serial link between the PMS and the PBX, to read what traffic is going by. I assume that you set up the link to PMS using an iPocket, right?

And you can check to see if wake up calls are getting set in the PMS, as Tony suggested, above.

OP Offline
Alarm code 146 indicates bad PMS function, and it just repeats itself several times within seconds of each other. I have a feeling that this may be the culprit. I've changed the answer points for the tenant of admin and guest rooms to make sure everything points to a valid extension, with the exception of the Wake-Up RAD, which points to a hunt group, and Priority Dial 0, which points to an LDN.

I do have the PBX interface running through an iPocket device. As far as I'm aware, the property is setting wake-up calls through the switchboard as the PMS company can't handle wake-up calls through their side at the present moment.

According to the customer, the PMS company did find an issue with the interface on their end, but I don't believe it has anything to do with the guest rooms ringing during an interface resynch.

Be there at 3:45 AM.

Attach a laptop to the serial port on the iPocket. Start hyperterminal, or if you have it, procomm. Turn on data capture.

Wait.

At 4:15, stop the capture and see what you've got.

If you have a second laptop available, do the same on the serial cable from the PMS at the same time.

Or, if you can find or make a serial cable that tees, use the tee cable to read the traffic live.

Odd thing about serial data: You can tap it and read it with a Tee or Wye cable. Some call accounting systems used to be based on that fact.

Odds are you've got some traffic on that serial cable right at 4:00 AM, and it's telling the ICP to ring rooms. Until you know what its saying, you're probably not gonna get to the bottom of what's happening.

OP Offline
I had no idea that you could tap serial data, and I must give this a try. The only issue that I face is the synchronization is random between at least 3 or 4 days apart all the way up to 2.5 weeks.

I'll be calling the PMS company to determine the cause of the Bad PMS Function on their end that is throwing the alarm code 146, which shows up whenever it does a resynch on it's own. Phones still ring though, when the resynch is forced.

I'll keep you posted as to what I find. Appreciate the input.

OP Offline
Ok. To let you all know, I have found the answer. Turns out it is a single class of service option that is triggering this. Took alot of testing, and simulating, but I finally found the answer. The serial tap was a huge help. Option 505 is what needs to be disabled in the guest room COS to stop the phone from ringing, and the check-out command from the PMS triggers the phone system to ring the room.

Thank you all for your help!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,594 Shoretel
189,480 CTX100 install
187,630 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (dexman), 127 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024