web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Our company currently has a bunch of NEC DTU16D phones. I am not sure if they are RJ-11 jacks? Maybe I should make a post over on the NEC forum? I want to see if they will work with this Cisco.

Anyway, for the most part they work fine, so we don't want to buy new phones if we don't have to. Our NEC voicemail system died many years ago, so we've been using them as regular phones for a few years now. Problem is phone service is expensive and VOIP looks like it might be a good way to go.

Do they make any ATA/gateway devices that will handle more than 8 devices? If not, can I use two SAP 8000's together?

I have 13 phones in the office and one fax machine, not that I need them all, but we'd like to keep them all connected if possible.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Can't see any way this would work. The NEC phones you have are proprietary digital phones, the Cisco ATA is for analog/single line devices.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Admin
Admin
Jeff is correct. Without an NEC KSU those sets are paperweights.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies.

I am using the phones now even though my voicemail unit died, though.

All I know is when we moved here someone wired up jacks in the wall and numbered them. In the back we have a piece of wood on the wall with some kind of wire terminals on it and numbered corresponding to the jacks on the wall.

As for the NEC unit it's switched off because it died and was too expensive to repair because we'd have to find the broken piece and no telling how reliable that will be.

So, they're not exactly paperweights. I'm still using the phones.

Last edited by yuppicide0138; 08/19/15 11:05 AM.
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
You still have an. NEC KSU working if you are using the phones.

You may find a replacement voicemail system to be far less expensive than you think.

OP Offline
You are right. My bad. The KSU is still on. Just the voicemail card or whatever you call it has been powered off or removed due to failure.

Last edited by yuppicide0138; 08/19/15 11:42 AM.
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Look for a refurb voice mail. It will most likely be less expensive than 2'cisco devices and will give you voice mail too

OP Offline
Well we're not really looking for any automated attendant/voicemail features that the NEC offered.. we don't need stuff like press 1 for sales, 2 for customer service, etc. We don't need per extension voicemail either.

Only thing we really need are extensions within the office, our 4 phone lines, 1 fax line, and one voicemail box for when we're closed. Holiday mode would be nice too.

Through Verzion I pay over $400 for 5 lines (one of them fax). This is without any internet. If I switch to FIOS I can get the same features and faster internet than what I have now for more than $100 cheaper.

We were only looking into VOIP as a cost savings measure. If it happens to also give us more features fine.

Moderated by  5years&counting 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,784
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,806 Shoretel
188,964 CTX100 install
187,201 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 140 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024