web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
hello all!

i have a long time customer with a 424i, equipped with the b5 v4.3 processor set. he asked about what the 424i could do as far as VOIP. i haven't been able to get much in the way of answers from cliff at wholesale telecom. i thought i'd ask here to find out more. the cabinets are 670s.

as always, tia for any answers you can supply,
bill

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I am not aware of the Strata DK having any VoIP capabilities at all. Toshiba developed all the VoIP with the CTX and the CIX line of systems. Back in around 2002 when the Strata CTX was released, and the DK series discontinued, VoIP was still a relatively new concept and not very mainstream. It did exist, but it probably did not make sense to add it to a product line that was about to be dropped.

There may be 3rd party solutions for adding VoIP technology to the DK, such as the https://www.citel.com/products/portico-tva/. This is basically using the digital phones and extending them across a network. I have seen something like this at a customer location that had phones connected to another building. We eventually replaced this with VoIP phones on a Strata CIX.

If this person wants to add VoIP, Toshiba is often having trade up promotions. Right now I think it is for the IPEdge and App server, which is a nice voicemail upgrade with new features including voicemail to email. You can reuse the cabinets and most cards and phones if you upgrade the processor to a CIX670.

I would like to add the VoIP is a bit of a broad term. You can use VoIP to extend the reach of desk phones using IP to another building or across the globe. Also sometimes IP phones are used just to combine voice and data networks to reduce infrastructural costs. You can join multiple PBX systems together (QSIP) using VoIP. You can replace your analog phone lines with VoIP lines (SIP trunks). On the PC you can make person to person video calls over the internet (Skype, etc). People sometimes think VoIP means free phone calls. And sometimes people use VoIP to describe the extra features you often get with an IP PBX, such as previously mentioned Voicemail to email (Unified Messaging), follow-me, hot desking, etc. Usually if I am asked about VoIP I ask the customer, "what do you want it to do?"

Change the processor out and make it a CTX.

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,643 Shoretel
189,526 CTX100 install
187,783 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (ALB300), 173 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024