Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Well, it finally happened. I have run out of buttons. I recently added another line to my 1A2 system, bringing the total now to 5. The problem I'm now facing is what can I do to get my intercom back. My system is primarily 6 button sets. (I am not changing over to 10 button sets.) When I added the fifth line, I decided to forgo having the intercom since it isn't terribly necessary. However, I have heard mentions in other posts of unconventional means of having an intercom without it requiring its own dedicated line key. I've heard of a "Buttons up" setup, and others where, by using latching relays and some clever wiring, guys have made the packaged intercoms cut over to a CO line by dialing 9 and throwing a relay. When I swapped the last line key over to a CO line, all I did was remove T&R from the icom and put it on the station side of the line card along with L&LG. The packaged icoms don't need the a-lead so I just connected the already punched and x-connected a-lead to the ksu. My point being all the wiring for the buzzers and icom stuff is still connected, and ready to be reused. But how?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
You can use a switch hook intercom, where you lift the white-colored switch hook plunger on the left. You basically hit the hold button with the phone idle, lift the plunger and the lamp under the hold button becomes your in-use indicator for intercom.

This requires a kit of parts originally designed for the exclusion feature. As Arthur would say, those are made from unobtainum.

You may be in luck, though. I have some new-old stock WE 2514 sets. I believe that they have this mechanism in place that you can scarf if you're willing to buy the whole set. I can assist you with retrofitting it, but we will need someone to chime in to verify if the white plunger on the 2514 is the same as the 2564/5 before I advise butchering a brand-new WE set.

If you are willing to go tacky, and you're using an intercom that doesn't require A leads, you can always use a side car with a TKM-6 switch. I can help you with those too, but I'll have to talk about your lack of taste.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Ed, your post gave me a little chuckle. I'd rather keep the sets looking clean. That doesn't mean that some sort of external gizmo is out of the question. The intercom is a valcom 19 station tone/rotary unit. The exact model number escapes me at the moment, but it does not require A-leads. Some kind of DPDT switch would work I guess, connecting it between the key assembly and the network, with t&r from the icom on one end and t&r from the keystrip on the other end. Could get a little cumbersome wiring those up. I refuse to drill holes or butcher any of my sets so external would be necessary. What would be cool would be to have the icom connected when the line keys are all up, and disconnect when any line key is depressed, but the keystrips aren't really wired for that. A couple of my sets have the white pull up plunger, but do not have the switch below. Just out of curiosity, what is a 2514?

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Chris -

Stromberg Carlson 1800 (?) sets came standard with Buttons up intercom. Essentially , you pushed the hold button and all 5 line keys were in the up position and at that point, the lamp under the hold button lit up and you had an intercom path available.

It worked fine and was standard. The 1800(?) [I'm too lazy to go down to the dreaded basement and look to see if I'm right about the model number] looked like a Bell System Call Director set, but with only 6 (vertical) buttons.

They were very reliable and came in rotary and tone, desk and wall. I could look to see if I have any (maybe one....), but they do come up occasionally on eBay.

Someone (I forget the name at the moment, but I bet Sandman sells them. Maybe starts with an "A"?) sold little DPDT switches that mounted on the edge of a keyset, without having to butcher it

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Sam, I know the sets you mean. They were often called mini call directors. I have a couple that are a variation of the 1800 sets. They are 3 line 3 hold sets. They are actually a pair that I won on Ebay quite a while ago. The line keys glow during the ring cycle from a little neon under them and if you connect the right wires to a 9 volt wall wart, the hold keys light up when the line is in use. They are rotary, so at the moment I don't have them connected. As far as my 1A2 stuff goes (I know the 3L-3H sets aren't 1A2) I've stepped away from rotary dial sets. I still have them and collect them, they just aren't that practical for everyday use. I have plenty of single line rotary sets around the house to stay in practice. I know what you are referring to on Sandman's site. They look like a micro toggle switch in a biscuit jack. Ed might give me a scolding, though. smile

Edit: I would love one of those SC sets for 1A2 in TT. I always liked the look of those.

Last edited by ChrisRR; 12/18/15 01:20 AM.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I'll try to look over the weekend......

<But don't hold your breath> wink

Sam

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Well, I looked and no 1800 sets. No sets, no parts, no nothing. I did find a very nice Automatic Electric 186 set, but that's it. Sorry.

Keep haunting eBay.

Sam

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
I appreciate you looking. Thanks.

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Yeah, but not for that kind of money. bolt

Still looking for ideas on how to get my intercom back...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,827
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,570 Shoretel
189,440 CTX100 install
187,602 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
3 members (Professor Shadow, justbill, highlysecptial), 110 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024