web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#599003 03/17/16 08:21 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
The landlord for our office has a small Talkswitch system in their office and they asked me if I had any ideas to address an issue that they're having. They have a Fortinet/Talkswitch CT.TS001.1 and are using a Netgear POE switch with FON350i sets, and four POTS lines.

Sporadically, they go to make an outgoing call and it never goes through. After a few seconds, the line just drops off. My first thought was that the first digit is being sent before the CO line is ready to receive digits, but the lines are fake ones (FiOS), so I doubt that's the issue. Besides, they never hear anything. Just silence until the line releases. I'd still like to see them insert a pause in front of the dialed digits just in case, if that's even possible.

The customer has used the system's internal resources to 'optimize the lines', but that doesn't seem to affect anything. He will reboot the unit and it seems to do OK for a few days. He has also upgraded the firmware. I don't see them having an issue with bandwidth since they are a relatively small operation. I don't think that the POE switch ports have anything to do with this since all of their other devices on it work fine.

Can anyone offer any suggestions that I might be able to present so that I don't look like a complete imbecile? I told him that I don't know their system, but the truth is, I don't have a clue where to begin with that thing.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by EV607797
The landlord for our office has a small Talkswitch system in their office and they asked me if I had any ideas to address an issue that they're having. They have a Fortinet/Talkswitch CT.TS001.1 and are using a Netgear POE switch with FON350i sets, and four POTS lines.

Sporadically, they go to make an outgoing call and it never goes through. After a few seconds, the line just drops off. My first thought was that the first digit is being sent before the CO line is ready to receive digits, but the lines are fake ones (FiOS), so I doubt that's the issue. Besides, they never hear anything. Just silence until the line releases. I'd still like to see them insert a pause in front of the dialed digits just in case, if that's even possible.

The customer has used the system's internal resources to 'optimize the lines', but that doesn't seem to affect anything. He will reboot the unit and it seems to do OK for a few days. He has also upgraded the firmware. I don't see them having an issue with bandwidth since they are a relatively small operation. I don't think that the POE switch ports have anything to do with this since all of their other devices on it work fine.

Can anyone offer any suggestions that I might be able to present so that I don't look like a complete imbecile? I told him that I don't know their system, but the truth is, I don't have a clue where to begin with that thing.

I would tell him to look for support where he bought it.... which of course won't happen.

Explain the difference between real telephone systems and that garbage .... and on top of that mention that real phone systems have dealer and manufacturer support.

And end with .... you get what you pay for thumbsup

Would he like to buy a brand new Talkswitch 848vs PBX? I have one for half price.

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch
If you can be there when the problem is occuring, then monitor the line with a butt set and a digit grabber and see and hear what is actually happening on the FiOS lines when outdialing. My first thought, is like you, the problem should not be the FiOS lines. I had a similar problem on a Polycom system I removed and replaced with a real system. The POTS lines were Comcast, similar as they, also, are fake. The line was being seized, a ringback tone heard and then the call would drop. Comcast was there multiple times to repair the problem, replacing all their equipment, etc. to no avail. Before removing the Polycom, I just wanted to see if I could find it. The problem was the Polycom was inserting an "A" DTMF (outband) in the outdial string, randomly. This caused the CO to direct the call to some service that was anticipating more out of band signals. When the service did not receive the signals, it just disconnected. There was never a busy or fast busy or any indication that there was something wrong.

I asked a Verizon tech if he knew what that service might be and he mumbled something about Autovon, but I think he was clueless.

So, before thinking this is a dead end, monitor and see if you can detect something.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Sounds like sticky buttons. Spray some WD-40. Tap and scrape out the dirt around the buttons.

Does this happen on all the phones or just one? Switch around the phones, curly cords, POE ports and patch cords. Check the power supply voltage on the phone and the PBX.

Since rebooting seems to fix the problem, the PBX could be going.

Do all the dialed digits appear on the display?

Does the problem happen only when you dial with the handset lifed? Or only when you dial with the speaker on?

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; 03/23/16 02:44 PM.

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,718 CTX100 install
186,811 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Professor Shadow, ronaldjamesh, justbill), 67 guests, and 435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024