web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#599466 04/03/16 06:18 PM
OP Offline
A former VZ subscriber asked me to intervene with our famous internet voice company. The customer has a house on the beach about 400 feet from the street, and that house is fed with a buried 6-pair from a pole. He is an artist and has a 100' by 40' barn on the same property which he uses as a studio, also fed by a buried 6-pair cable from the same pole. Our illustrious cable company came out and put a modem in each building, and told him that he couldn't have the same telephone number in both buildings, because "It would cost a fortune to bury a new line from the house to the studio."

I back-fed the dial tone from the main house modem to the pole, bridged the 1st pair from each building at the abandoned VZ terminal, and "voila" the dial tone magically appeared on the NID at the studio. It took all of 10 minutes' labor, 2 Scotchloks, and approximately zero feet of cable to accomplish what the expert said would be so difficult as to be not cost-effective.

Sometimes we get to use our amazing powers for Good rather than Evil...bwahahahahaha.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Good Thing you got involved.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Sadly, people often take the word of the service provider's "technician" as the gospel. They don't even think to get a second opinion. I shudder to think of all of these applications that exist out there for this reason, not to mention all of the missed work opportunities for us.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Ed, you have said it better than I could have.

Arthur P. Bloom

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Good job, Arthur!

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
I back-fed the dial tone from the main house modem to the pole, bridged the 1st pair from each building at the abandoned VZ terminal, and "voila" the dial tone magically appeared on the NID at the studio. It took all of 10 minutes' labor, 2 Scotchloks, and approximately zero feet of cable to accomplish what the expert said would be so difficult as to be not cost-effective.

so simple for a real phone man ..good job

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Even though Verizon is ~abadoning~ their copper facilities, is it legal to bridge into that block

OP Offline
"Even though Verizon is ~abadoning~ their copper facilities, is it legal to bridge into that block..." Is that a question, or a question fragment?

Why is there always a jail-house lawyer in the crowd?

Of course it's "legal" to use abandoned LEC facilities that exist on private property. In this case the two buried service wires were the property of the home owner in the first place. Once they are buried, they become the property of the land owner.

Can you supply any logical reason why that would not be the case? Can you think of any possible scenario where the "Phone Police" (if they still exist) would detect such an arrangement, create a case, drive from Brooklyn NY to 11964, mount surveillance, sneak up to the terminal, ANA the number, dust for fingerprints, and ask the DA to convene a Grand Jury?

Neither can I.

I didn't "bridge into that block." If you read my message carefully, I said that I bridged the first pair of both cables **IN** the terminal block, using two Scotchloks. The terminal block in question, Your Honor, was installed on a pole on private property, for the sole use of the property owner. Once it was installed on private property, and then once VZ abandoned it, I can think of no reason to believe that they might want it back, considering how many earwigs were living in it at the time of my visit.

Arthur P. Bloom

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
You go, Arthur!

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
LOL..."Phone Police."

The Communications Act of 1996 following the Carterfhone Decision of 1968 made ownership of existing non demarced cable in a gray area. Because of the provisions in the "Unbundling of services" portion of the Communications Act of 1996, most all Verizon and most incumbent LECs released ownership of the cable embedded in the customer's building or on the customer's property with some specific exceptions such as payphone service and radio transmission feeds, just to mention two. Part of this is found in CS Docket No. 97-151.

The big reason is that Verizon knew it had to justify ROR on ALL the cable they claimed as being "serviced" by them and this was a huge chunk of that cable plant that WASN'T being serviced and had not been serviced for some time, yet was still being calculated as eligible for ROR rating. The bottom line, before the bean counters from Justice started to figure out Verizon's little dirty secret, they "abandoned" ownership of in house and on premise cable, again, with a few exceptions.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024