web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#600091 04/21/16 08:29 AM
OP Offline
I have a customer who is using esi-link and are experiencing delays on when and call is transferred from on site to the other. Both are 50's running the latest software. Called tech support and they said it was because of the software but it has not helped. Any help with this will be appreciated. Thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The number one problem with ESI-Link is 99% of the time with your internet connections. Are both systems with the same ISP? Have you run a speed test from each site? Have you tested the connection from the ESI NSP to the network switch? If you don't have any network testing equipment, you can use a laptop to get some data with which you can work. Is the problem constant or does it seem to come and go?

Has this link been established for a while, or is this problem new?

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
OP Offline
Did speed tests at both locations the other day. One has a 18mb down and 5mb up. The other has 45mb down and 14mb up. I have not tested from the nsp to network switch. They really don't use this feature that much and just have reported it but I suspect that it has been this way for some time and they just did not notice it. I do know they have a cheap netgear 10/100 switch on one end but the other end has a cisco gig switch.

OP Offline
And yes both locations have same isp (AT&T)

The codec may be an issue. I have never seen it cause the problem you describe. Usually a miss-matched codec will cause audio problems, but I also know there are some software hooks in the ESI-Link routine that reference the codec. Make sure the codecs match. If you are using 724 at both sites, try using 729 at both sites.

Is the Cisco switch managed? You may have some restriction on the port that in which the NSP is plugged. I had this happen on a managed Cisco switch and it delayed sending packets to the switch which caused similar problems like you describe. I can't remember what the IT weenie did, but there was some little thing that needed to be changed and that fixed the problem.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
OP Offline
What is the best way to test the connection from the ESI NSP to the network switch. Thanks again

The BEST way is to use a network tester like a Fluke Linkrunner AT-2000 or a DSP-5000 or a Cable certifier with BERT testing capability or network sniffing capability. If you don't have or can't obtain these testing devices, then using your laptop, follow this very simple tutorial Click Here and pay special attention to packet loss and jitter. When the ESI-Link fails or has delay problems is can be narrowed down to packet loss and/or jitter. If you get packet loss or jitter, then you need to address the source which may be the switches. Just because the Cisco switch is a gigabit switch, don't rule it out. I fought with one for a week that had weird packet distortion. To test it, go to an office supply store or Best Buy and purcahse a gigabit Netgear, Linksys or similar cheap router and see if that resolves the problem.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Had similar problem with a D-Link switch on one end and a Netgear on the other. We had everything working but the problems began within the first day. Eventually the packet loss was so bad that the Esi-Link would completely fail. The customer had their "IT" vendor replace the D-link with the same Netgear we had installed and the problems disappeared. It ran for a few years problem free after that. Still running today....

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 110 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024