web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6005 05/05/05 01:34 PM
OP Offline
Is there a general guideline about how long a phone system should last???

I know that there are alot of variables, such as quality of installation and type of environment, but where systems made in the early 90's designed to only last a certain amount of years???

The reason for this question is that I am working with a company that called me a few days ago, with a Partner and a VS 4.1 vm. The secretary told me that it was there when she was hired and she is with the company 5 years.

Well anyway, the vm konked out, dead as door nail...and they also told me the system keeps dropping calls and phones go dead and then back up...

Is it unique that a partner system that I would imagine is not more then 7 years old be ready for the scrap pile????

I still see TIE Ultracom's still working and that was the first system I installed when I was a newby...back in '82....

Would like to hear some feedback on the life of phone systems......

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#6006 05/05/05 01:46 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groundstart:
Is there a general guideline about how long a phone system should last???

I know that there are alot of variables, such as quality of installation and type of environment, but where systems made in the early 90's designed to only last a certain amount of years???

The reason for this question is that I am working with a company that called me a few days ago, with a Partner and a VS 4.1 vm. The secretary told me that it was there when she was hired and she is with the company 5 years.

Well anyway, the vm konked out, dead as door nail...and they also told me the system keeps dropping calls and phones go dead and then back up...

Is it unique that a partner system that I would imagine is not more then 7 years old be ready for the scrap pile????

I still see TIE Ultracom's still working and that was the first system I installed when I was a newby...back in '82....

Would like to hear some feedback on the life of phone systems......
</font>

Most truely. phone systems DO have an imaginary expiration date that the phone system provider doesnt want you to see somewhere from 8-10years. Most times you can keep a system and swap phones and lines and it can fix a problem... but when you are POSITIVE that the system is dropping calls and not keeping business in order... its time for a scrap pile, BUT if you are going to go with the same provider swap some of the old parts to save money unless the company wants bigger...better...out with the old in with the new. A NORSTAR can probably last around 10 years, same c| avaya. Find out how many calls a system is missing or dropping, what parts are wearing down (some systems cards will have a small LED on the inside that gets dimmer as it is "supposed" to be replaced.) and if you can replace the system if it is faulty.

------------------
..::kristopher::..

Kristopher
#6007 05/05/05 02:02 PM
I have always felt that the longevity of a system is related to several factors. First the equipment must be reliable. But the biggest factor is the quality of the installing company. Many times I have seen perfectly good systems tossed out onto scrap heap only because the customer had no idea what it was capable of - mostly due to the ineptness of the installing interconnect.

[This message has been edited by dwflood (edited May 05, 2005).]

#6008 05/05/05 02:20 PM
I can't speak specifically for the Partner system you are dealing with but most of these systems will last 10-12 years with no major problems. I have seen quite a few of the R1's still in service and working well. One important aspect of longevity is the way they were installed and the enviroment they were installed in. You still see many Merlin systems in use, they were first introduced in 1984 at the time of divesiture. In my humble opinion the Partner is one of the most reliable systems on the market.

#6009 05/05/05 03:02 PM
All my Coral systems can be upgraded..so never.

#6010 05/05/05 03:19 PM
Local County Jail/Sheriffs Dept. has a Toshiba Strata XX with Rotary Dial CO cards and about 40 phones. 1984 or 1985 installed new still in service and still under Maintenance Contract. It dosen't get any better than this. Thank God they don't all keepem this long.

#6011 05/06/05 02:04 AM
OP Offline
I had just found out from an employee at the company that the Partner system was installed by "some old guy" who disappeared and they cant seem to locate him.....so I dont know its new, used or refurbed until I examine in detail the modules...

#6012 05/06/05 02:50 AM
The phones dropping calls and going down/back up is probably a symptom of bad keypad membranes. They can be replaced.
As far as system longevity goes, I look at it like having an old used car. As long as replacement parts are available, the maintenance costs a significant ammount less than a new one would cost, and it is still filling all their needs, why replace it?
Voicemails are another issue. Hardrives go down, software gets corrupted, etc....

(Of course, much of our business is from end-users holding onto that 15-20 year old system)
------------------
Avaya Telephone Repair
Toshiba Telephone Repair

[This message has been edited by paul144 (edited May 06, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by paul144 (edited May 06, 2005).]

#6013 05/06/05 11:42 AM
I find the life expectancy of any phone system as a whole is equal to the life of the power-supply. Phones wear out and some brands last longer than others and get replaced. 10 years is a long time for something to be powered up 24/7. I tell my customers it’s like a TV that never gets turned off. They relate to that. Most manufactures that I deal with engineer semi-conductor tolerances into their product. So after 2 years under constant voltage when a semi-conductor breaks down the rest of the circuit is designed for that and compensates.

#6014 05/09/05 06:31 PM
The TIE VDS system lasted 26 years.

It has a couple phone die over the years.

The largest problem is after 25 years, the processor went bad.

I was charged a fortune for a used one.

Now that system is taken off line, no one even wants the system for parts.(I still have it if anyone is interested)

It does not make since if you can end up selling a processor for thousands of dollars for someone who really needs one.

Anyway, its remarkable how these phone systems are running 24/7/365 and hundreds of thousands of hours worth on phone calls build to be up 99.99999% rock solid reliability.

Expensive computer servers in companies running something stable like Linux(not microsoft) still probably has to be reset around every month. I have even had something as simple as an expensive calculator go bad in less time than the phone system.

So if you considering how the phone system companies to any other piece of technology you have. Its absolutely fantastic. I don't know how they got to reliable but I wish more electronic products were made this well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024