web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
dans Offline OP
OP Offline
Do you NEC techs who work for dealers know these forums are open the public? These forums are supposed to be for end user issues only, like how to call forward phone and such. All this technical information you are handing out gives the customer good reason not to call a dealer in to solve their problem.

Start using PM's and save our jobs.

We get old too soon, smart too late
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I agree to a point. Cut back on the technical information on current systems. However, I have found that many dealers discontinue support when NEC discontinues a system. For end users with older systems a forum like this is their only recourse.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Originally Posted by helpifican
I agree to a point. Cut back on the technical information on current systems. However, I have found that many dealers discontinue support when NEC discontinues a system. For end users with older systems a forum like this is their only recourse.

there are many interconnects who support manufacturer discontinued equipment I suspect most others here do. for example I was working on a DS1000 this morning . the recourse for the a end user on discontinued systems is to call a Pro not to be walked through programming in the open forum here

as to your "agreeing to a point " you may want to review the rules of the forum " As a rule of thumb, if the information is not in the users or administrators guide, do not post it in the forum. If you wish to relate such information in regard to a post, you should do this by sending a private message or an email to the poster."

https://sundance-communications.com...ules_&_How_to_use_the_Tec#Post534613

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Originally Posted by skip555
there are many interconnects who support manufacturer discontinued equipment I suspect most others here do. for example I was working on a DS1000 this morning . the recourse for the a end user on discontinued systems is to call a Pro not to be walked through programming in the open forum here

as to your "agreeing to a point " you may want to review the rules of the forum " As a rule of thumb, if the information is not in the users or administrators guide, do not post it in the forum. If you wish to relate such information in regard to a post, you should do this by sending a private message or an email to the poster."

But all they will do is go to other forums who do give the information freely and which website is more likely to survive? This is a globally marketed system and there are plenty of sites out there that will help walk people through programming some of the most complicated things. Burying our heads in the sand isn't going to help!

Techs seem to forget that the equipment belongs to the customer and they are entitled to know anything they want to about their own property, people should stop thinking they can hold the customer to ransom!

I own my car, but I don't expect my dealer to walk me though fixing the transmission.

There was once a time in this business that technicians were properly trained and took pride in their work. We studied hard and passed certification exams, because our continued employment and future pay raises were on the line.

These days, every "IT professional" and their brother thinks that they can be a phone man. And it shows. Look into any random closet and see the mess that MDFs and IDFs have become. It's obvious that the responsible person wouldn't know a BSP if they tripped over it.

So, no apologies if I don't give away for free the knowledge and experience that took me years to obtain.

Originally Posted by R4+Z
Originally Posted by skip555
there are many interconnects who support manufacturer discontinued equipment I suspect most others here do. for example I was working on a DS1000 this morning. The recourse for the a end user on discontinued systems is to call a Pro not to be walked through programming in the open forum here

But all they will do is go to other forums who do give the information freely and which website is more likely to survive? This is a globally marketed system and there are plenty of sites out there that will help walk people through programming some of the most complicated things. Burying our heads in the sand isn't going to help!

Techs seem to forget that the equipment belongs to the customer and they are entitled to know anything they want to about their own property, people should stop thinking they can hold the customer to ransom!

Someone should tell Cisco this. But seriously, owning something doesn't mean you have the right to know everything from someone. Helping someone with easy problems found in any user manual is one thing, getting into technical problems AND security on an open forum can lose you your NEC NTAC ability. Look it up sometime. You don't think they watch these forums? The last conference I went to they knew who I was.

But all they will do is go to other forums who do give the information freely and which website is more likely to survive? This is a globally marketed system and there are plenty of sites out there that will help walk people through programming some of the most complicated things. Burying our heads in the sand isn't going to help!Techs seem to forget that the equipment belongs to the customer and they are entitled to know anything they want to about their own property, people should stop thinking they can hold the customer to ransom!

There is a reason the manufacturers don't include programming manuals and access to NTAC with every system sold .

they are certainly entitled to know whatever they want , they just aren't entitled to our telling them how to do it here for free

the rules for user guide in the open forums info was set up by the founders of this board its been around quite awhile and is doing well .

Originally Posted by DND ON
I own my car, but I don't expect my dealer to walk me though fixing the transmission.

But you can probably easily buy a workshop manual for it and no one can stop you from tinkering with it. It's when you get out of your depth and need bailing out that the experts make money!

Originally Posted by Coral Tech
Someone should tell Cisco this. But seriously, owning something doesn't mean you have the right to know everything from someone. Helping someone with easy problems found in any user manual is one thing, getting into technical problems AND security on an open forum can lose you your NEC NTAC ability. Look it up sometime. You don't think they watch these forums? The last conference I went to they knew who I was.

And Cisco are having what problems by being totally open and letting everyone know the technical stuff? As I say, These systems are available all over the world, what is NEC NTAC going to do to stop me (for example) from telling someone something when I am based in Australia?

If we make it hard for people, they will simply (over time) migrate to other solutions that are more open in the dissemination of technical information and then it will be pointless having learned all that information because the customer base is so small. Trust me, it is happening here in Australia My local NEC branch has been shedding staff for years. Some of the most qualified techs have been let go and sales don't bode well for the future IMHO.

So what's your point? If I give away my knowledge to anybody who asks I or some fellow tech will be out of a job. Then you say "if we make it hard for people, they will simply (over time) migrate to other solutions that are more open in the dissemination of technical information..." We're out of a job there too.

So we're damned if we do or damned if we dont and at my age I don't give a rat's rectum what happens anymore. But I'm not going to be a hippocrate and help someone take money out of a fellow tech's pocket regardless. You say the information is all over the internet? Good! Knock yourself out. I like to think that we here still have loyalty and integrity.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
NTAC can pull your access. That is huge. I don't know what's going on there but NEC is trouncing others companies in sales.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,708 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Yoda, Toner, Curlycord), 131 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024