web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I have posted a few times on this forum and found everyone to be great.
Racedog, I have read most of your comments and your sticky about software updates makes complete sense.

I have a 6x that I self installed - always been on 7.1.8.1 becuase of the lack of a support plan. Most of the phones are 9212's.
Phone lines are all analog and I have 4 of them into the system.
I am not a phone installer, but I am a self taught computer "guy".
With the help of the internet and forums, the install wasn't hard.

My boss has random problems where customers cannot hear him talking. It doesn't seem to be consistent enough to easily track by saying it is a certain phone line, a certain phone number, etc.
I didn't have the same problem - so I swapped my phone with his directly - Seems to still happen.

In my head, I am thinking basic possibilities are problems with:
1. Phones
2. 6X system
3. Ethernet lines from office to switch
4. Ethernet Line to 6X
5. Some kind of bandwidth issue on the entire ethernet system
6. Analong line from demarc to 6x
7. Analong line from demarc to phone company

So

1. I swapped phones (with one that I considered working fine) with no change.
2. updating the software might help (again based on racedog's comments)
3. Acutal ethernet lines - I am guessing these dont just "go bad" perhaps there is a frequency issue? unlikely.
4. Just a single cable to the 6x. also unlikely.
5. I just tried making calls from a phone while using 2 different bandwidth programs - Thinking that if I clogged the lines with data the phone might mess up. I would think it would be more likely to cut in and out losing data rather than just lower in volume.
6. Haven't really checked them.
7. I had a friend come over who is an old school phone system guy. He hooked into the phone lines at the demark and listened to them heading out of the building. He said he didn't hear anything that would spark his concern.

I have a local allworx installer.
For a rate, he would come and inspect the system.
For a fee, they can install the latest software update.

Because the event currently seems so random, my gut is telling me it is more likely a 6x/software issue instead of most of the basic hardware that I have here in the office.

Does my logic seem sound?
Other option is to abandon this system and get something else completely - with full support.
I would consider something like this if there were concerns for the allworx 6x system and its "lifespan".
Thoughts?
Thanks again.
Chad

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Chad,

I know nothing about the Allworx system. Basically skimming your post, you said it is a random problem that only he is having. Shot in the dark, but we have had that happen with other systems and it turned out to be that the employee was holding handset under chin or turning their head while talking. Obviously callers couldn't hear as well unless the handset was being held properly and user is speaking directly in to the microphone/handset. Probably not the case w/ your scenario, but stranger things have happened and my guess didn't cost you anything.

Rick

BTS
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
You seem to be trouble shooting it in a logical way.

I think I'll run this by one of my network guys. It may be a problem with the network but I'm not sure. How big is the network and what kind of switches do you have?

What procedures have you taken to separate the voice from the data? Have you used VLans? When did you purchase and install the system?

Let me check the 7.1.8.1 software. I want to see what the next couple of versions corrected. The 6x is on 8.1.9.4 right now.
They are still supporting and upgrading the software although the replacement (the Connect Series) has been out for about a year now.

We have more questions for sure. PM'd original poster.

hi usuallly it is a bandwith issue. Your internet provider is nmost likely the culprit. i have had problems with a data switch also. but if it is just intermitant i would do a constant ping and see what was happening.

John Byington

Moderated by  JWRacedog 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,111 Shoretel
187,716 CTX100 install
186,809 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, OBT), 57 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024