Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PMOC Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey all,

I have acquired a fair amount of old telecom equipment (KSUs, analog/digital telephone sets, system cards etc.) that are mostly non-functional and I no longer need. I have held on to them in order to repair and resell them if necessary but as more of my customers upgrade to new systems I have more and more old inventory that I have no use for. I have tried to take a couple of cabinets to local recyclers over the years but they have refused to take them. At this point I'm just running out of space and need to get rid of a bunch of this old equipment any way I can but would rather not break any dumping laws if possible.

Any recommendations?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Recyclers are supposed to take electronic waste. Have you tried recently since it became illegal to throw it in the dumpster or garbage? Funny, we used to get $.01/lb until it became illegal. Now they just take it.

I see you're in CA. Don't they have like a binder full of regulations punishable by death on how to dispose of electronic waste? Rulez

-Hal

AES Electronics Recycling Inc. located in Fullerton is listed as an electronics recycling facility.

PMOC Offline OP
OP Offline
hbiss, I haven't been to any recyclers recently, it's possible I just haven't found the right place. The couple that I've tried were only interested in cell phones or PCs. And I don't know the exact regulations but it is CA so I am sure there are plenty. I'm still adjusting to the grocery bag ban.

fonemanlee, I will give them a call and see what they say, thank you for finding that for me.

edit: AES says they'll take whatever I've got. Guess I'll be stopping there shortly. Thank you.

Last edited by PMOC; 02/14/17 06:28 PM.
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
The town I live in (although not in California) will accept non-hazardous electronic waste if I drive the items to the town's Public Works building. There is a covered cart located outside one of the entrances.

I just have to go to the office, show and ID describe what is being disposed of and assure that printers, if applicable, have no ink or toner still inside. The last time I disposed of some old printers, I saw some Polycom & Cisco phones had been tossed in.

Does your city/town have such a service?

I Love FEATURE 00
right now the govt agency I am working for has me "wiping" the incoming call logs and memory buttons off of +/- 1800 Nortel sets of different models before we send them out for recycling.

Its a real pain when some of the sets have up to 40 incoming calls logged and the delete key has to be hit for each call. Others I can use the # key to clear everything.

I should be happy I am paid by the hour to do it and I figure its going to take at least 4 days to do it.

right now the govt agency I am working for has me "wiping" the incoming call logs and memory buttons off of +/- 1800 Nortel sets of different models before we send them out for recycling.

I would think running them over with your truck would be a lot quicker. grin

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Once again Hal has the best solution.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
tablesaw or bandsaw should do the trick too.

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Originally Posted by hbiss

I would think running them over with your truck would be a lot quicker. grin

-Hal

Previous consultant they had said they could get $18 CDN per phone a few years ago from a used set broker, but they sat on them. Not sure if management thinks they will be worth more now if they look for a buyer.

After doing a about another 80 or 90 today I'd settle for tapping them with a sledge hammer to "wipe the memory".

I'd still have to pull off the telephone number tags out of the scrap to keep the new VP of IT Security happy as he doesn't want to see any link back to the company on the phones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,401 Shoretel
189,151 CTX100 install
187,423 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (justbill, Keyset6, jeffmoss26), 117 guests, and 430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024