web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Ok, I've got one that's been boggling me for about a week now. Whenever I do a "simultaneous page" (I-*70) from a single line phone I get a screeching sound for about a second right when I hang up. The page works fine, sounds clear, no feedback, and if I make the same page (I*70) from any system phone, it works just fine. Soon as I use a SLT, I get the screech as soon as I hang up. I've tried it from cordless phones, corded phones, even one of my 1A2 sets. Any non system phone will cause this. The page comes through the system phones fine, then they all screech right after you hang up the SLT. I can't figure it out. I do not have a PA amp or anything, and I programmed the paging line as the last CO port which has nothing connected. I tried terminating it with an 8 ohm and a 10K ohm resistor thinking maybe an impedance mismatch, but if that was the case it would happen when you use a system phone or any phone for that matter. Any thoughts?

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

If you press the hookswitch while holding the handset in your hand do you hear it?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Yes. I've even held the handset and pulled the line cord out of the wall and it still does it. I know the phenomenon that you're thinking of, and it isn't that. It sounds like feedback, but the screech is very consistent in length and pitch. The only clue is it only happens when paging from a SLT. Any SLT. It has to be something to do with the Partner itself, since I never had this problem with my R6

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
I just discovered another interesting quirk. If page using one of the groups, I*71 for example, from a SLT, there's no screech. I guess I could just put all the phones into one of the calling groups to be able to page, but that seems like a band-aid. I tried programming the page port to CO line 5, since that's marked PAGE on the processor, and it still screeched. Is it because I don't have anything connected to the page port? I would have figured terminating it with a resistor would have stopped that.

Dunno. I've always put all extensions that are to receive a page in 71.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Matter of fact, now that I've been thinking about it, if you don't include extensions in a group, page shouldn't work except for the page port with I*70.

I do know that with the old Transtalk cordless's you had to take them out of the page group because they didn't have a speaker and would do strange beeping things. So if they aren't in a group no page and I do remember plenty of places that did simultaneous page that used Transtalks.

-Hal

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
From what I can tell, I70 is just loudspeaker (paging port) page. I*70 is loudspeaker and phones paging. I've noticed that when using a SLT (I'm talking about a regular old phone call) when you hang up it takes about a second for the associated line light to go out on a system phone. Obviously it can't disconnect the call as soon as you go on hook or things like hook flash wouldn't work to put calls on hold and stuff like that. (Still talking about using the SLT here.) It's during this brief time right after going on hook before the system cuts the line off -this time the paging port instead of a co line- that I get this screeching tone. A system phone hangs up right away since there's no need for hook flash, so they don't exhibit this odd behavior. I'm wondering if I've got something programmed wrong, a faulty processor, or something else I've overlooked. I've tried unplugging EVERYTHING from the modules thinking maybe just one phone somewhere was the culprit, I've tried to narrow it down as much as I can and this is where I'm at. I'm so used to dialing I*70 to make a page that I want to make it work if I can. If I have to just add everything to group one and dial I*71, then so be it, but I like to try to fix problems rather than band-aid them.

Not a band-aid Chris. Phones to receive pages need to be in 502 group 1,2,3 or 4. An extension can belong to any or all groups. Only group 1 will be paged with simultaneous page.

I have no idea why the R8 pages through the phones if they are not assigned to group 1. You said so yourself the R6 doesn't do that.

Wait, I do know why! The R7 and 8 were redesigned by Avaya. bash

-Hal

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
My R6 paged through all the phones without them being in a group by dialing I*70. It didn't have the screech that my R8 has. I guess I'll just put them all in group 1 and call it a day.

From the manual:

Simultaneous Paging (I*70)

This feature accesses the loudspeaker paging system, if you have one connected to the system through the PAGE jack on the primary processor module and all of the idle systems phones with speakers assigned to Calling group 1.

• You must use Calling Group Extensions (#502) to identify the extensions in group 1.

So I have no idea why you get paging through the phones with none being in Group 1. I always assigned extensions to groups and I know that those not assigned do not receive pages. That's the way it's supposed to work.

I know Avaya screwed around with the R6 too.

-Hal

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (Toner, curtonpond, Curlycord, Professor Shadow), 90 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024