web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C64PC Offline OP
OP Offline
I was sent to a site where the customer had a beat up cortelco phone, the issue was a extremely loud buzzing sound (not static, with faint dial tone. I replaced the phone lines connecting to the base set; no change. I replaced the base set; still no change. And I replaced the old 1 port jack, with a new one; nada. I decided to isolate the wires from the customers side and then got a semi-clear signal (light buzz) facing the providers demark. When I reconnected the sound came back. I repunched all connections, still; no change. I check the line no open shorts detected (will try another toner next time to make sure). So I am stumped what could be the issue? What did a miss?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Ground Hum. Always check at the Demarc first. Separate customer from telco. Check Telco first, then use a decent meter like a side kick to test the customer side Tip to Ring to Ground. If you happen to know the test number to remove CO battery for a minute or two, use your meter on the Telco side too.

It's not an open, and it's not a short. A toner is not the tool to use to test a line.

Open the line at the demarck. Draw dial tone with a known, good test set or single-line phone that does not require a separate power source to operate. Listen to the line after dialing a digit.

If the line sounds good, proceed to the next step.

With the line open at the demarc AND ALL EQUIPMENT REMOVED FROM THE LINE test with a meter for grounds and crosses.

Put the line back to normal and listen with JUST the test set or common phone at the end location.

You have a ground, a cross, an unbalance, or a defective telephone.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Again, this is why carrying a simple "Sidekick" or similar tester should be part of a normal technician's tools. You could have isolated the problem in one trip in a few minutes. You need not spend a lot of money, these testers are available, used, for very little.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
BWC Offline
When you replaced the base set did you use the same handset?

Cortelco handsets create a very loud hum when they have gone bad.

C64PC Offline OP
OP Offline
Where can I purchased a "sidekick"? Anything beyond a tone tester is basically out of my pocket. I need this job so I will get what I need to do it.

I replaced all of the cortelco parts, no change.

I think it is the line itself, but I do not have wire tester to determined where a break may be.

People I work for are cheap on fixing the issue at hand, so I have to work with what I have.

Last edited by C64PC; 05/08/17 09:46 PM.
All you really need for dial tone is a good Butt set to start with. I prefer the Harris Dracon TS 21. Nothing fancy and no battery required. Once you clear the bridge clips or x-connect from your equipment. If the noise is still on the teleco side it is up to them to fix. A sidekick is nice, I usually only need to use mine on private outside plant.

John 807
C64PC Offline OP
OP Offline
I isolated the connections; on the telco side I get a clear dialtone. When I connected the user (normalizing the connections as they once where) I get the loud buzzing sound again, even when there is no phone plugged into the jack.

I am using a harris buttset.

Last edited by C64PC; 05/09/17 07:55 AM.
Does the station cable go directly there? Or are there feed cables? If theretr are feed cables go to the next spot pull the connection and check dialtone back to the Dmarc. You could have a bad house pair or a number of other things to look for.

John 807
If you know the trouble is in house a simple volt meter will tell you what the trouble is. As was stated by John, you've identified the trouble as in house, now just chase it down to where.

Retired phone dude
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (dans, Toner, Curlycord), 106 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024