web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RUSS K. Offline OP
OP Offline
I installed a new SBX yesterday, only to find that I can't get dialtone. When you push the line button, you hear 2 clicks, then busy. I had only done some basic programming at this point. Putting my butt-set across the CO, when I access the line, I hear 3 clicks, then dial tone. My line voltage is 48 on-hook, and have 25 ma off-hook.

Pulled the cabinet back to the shop, and it is fine here. Went back out today, and tried messing with the timers, trying to get it to hold dialtone. I haven't found any setting that I can change to allow me to get dialtone. Yesterday, they were using line 1 on old phones, and when I accessed Line 1, I butted into their call, as I expected.

Seems like the problem is whatever the 3 clicks are from the Telco. Seems like I need to disable the CO disconnect setting, or change the timer, but can't find anything that works. Just get clicks, then busy, and all 3 of their lines act the same.

About a year ago, VZN did move them to a remote, and began offering DSL in that area. They are located about 1/4 mile from the remote. Prior to that, they were fed directly out of the switch, which is located about 9 miles up the road.

Had anyone seen anything like this before? It is really driving me nuts.

RUSS K.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The SBX is not a passive system it looks for a certain co voltage, however it seems you are inside the range. I used to test my SBXs by running slt dialtone from the system back into a co port. The tree clicks bothers me, the SBX does not know the line is being seized or vice versa, I would dial a number from the SBX after going off hook and see if the line seizes even if you don't hear dialtone first.

Last edited by Derrick; 05/26/17 02:03 PM.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
RUSS K. Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't know what the clicks are either, I took an analog meter there today to see if I could see a reversal or drop when going off hook, and the meter did drop very quickly a bit on going off-hook.

I had a customer several years ago (feed by the same CO) that I had to modify a timer on a DX80, kind of did the same thing, heard click then hung up. Changed the disconnect timer and problem went away.

Today, I took along a spare DX80, and I put the same timers in it that I looked up in my backups for the other system that gave me issues, plugged it in, hooked up a CO line, and it works. Then just for kicks, I defaulted the cabinet, tried again at default, and it still works.

This one really baffles me.

RUSS K.
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Try reversing the CO polarity, that is if they are all the same, if anyone is different I don't think it will help any.

CO attributes II has a co open loop detect timer that defaults at 100msecs (setting 00) which can be changed up to 200 msecs. There is also a long/short line telco setting. I never needed to change them but you never know.

Last edited by Derrick; 05/26/17 07:30 PM.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Try PGM 160, button 14 and enable immediate CO line connect. This is normally used to provide an immediate talk path for CO lines that are connected to third party paging units, door boxes, etc.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ed, I missed (or forgot) about that option, I bet it will do the trick. This is from the SBX 3.5 pro and op manual:

Voice Path Connect -- if value is set to IMM
(immediate), voice path is connected immediately for
CO outgoing calls; otherwise, calls are connected after
dialing digits.
PGM 160 + FLEX 14 + 0
(DGT) + [HOLD/SAVE]
VALUES --
0 = DGT
1 = IMM

Last edited by Derrick; 05/27/17 09:02 AM.

www.myrandomviews

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Not trying to be a smart-alec, but: Tell the Telco to fix it.

RUSS K. Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the options. I talked to the customer yesterday, and was almost to the point of getting a DX-120 to put in there. I will go back on Tues, and try these one last time, along with anything else that gets posted until then.

I did try the open loop detect timer, and that didn't seem to do anything. I wish there was a way to simulate the scenario here so that I could test it. I never knew what PGM 160 - 14 did. Never had to deal with it. There is still a lot of the wording that doesn't make sense to me. Coming from Comdial, things seemed to be called what they were, at least made sense.

I did ask Toni one day if there was a "dictionary" for this thing. But you know, after you install a bunch of these, you get comfortable with it, and the stuff you never change, you just pass over.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll keep you informed.

RUSS K.
I have seen this before (the clicks on the line), but with a Panasonic system. It turned out that Verizon installed their new service using FiOS, but punched the jumpers down right on top of the existing positions where the copper lines were. The copper pairs were not dead, but there was battery on them.

I know it's a stretch, but it might be worth looking into if there is FiOS in the area. Verizon seems to think of that as the magic solution to the telecom industry.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The SBX or ipldk60 as LG calls it is a workhorse, and it doesn't tolerate Telco miswiring or improper line voltages.

www.myrandomviews

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 109 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024