web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I am REALLY hoping someone can help me with this.

I have an Axxess 5.119 system that has a VM issue.

When the Voice Mail is connected I cannot log into the system (it times out, etc), but if I disconnect it from the CPU serial port I am able to log in.

I know in the older versions (4.x and below) you could tell the system which serial port was used for Axxessory talk, but I haven't found this option in the 5.X and above software.

I was hoping someone could help me with this. I am positive it's a settings/database issue as when I default the system I can connect with the Voice Mail plugged into a CPU serial port.

It's only after I upload the database that I am no longer able to log in..

If anyone has any ideas PLEASE e-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected].

Thanks,
Kevin

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

There could be several possible issues. First off, what exactly happens?

Are you sure you're connecting the Axxessory Talk with the correct Mod-Tap? The one you want is the 804.2420 and is different than what is used for other applications.

What about cabling? The correct pin out is available in Appendix C of the manual. I will say that Inter-Tel specifies the use of a 4 pair cable, and while you seldom see them used, I have had connection problems in the past that went away when I made up a 4 pair connection cable and used it in place of the 3 pair.

Does your database have OAI enabled on the serial port you're attempting to connect through?

60% of the time it works every time
OP Offline
(first off I wanted to say thanks for the reply guys, I really appreciate any help I can get on this..moving on..)

I guess I was a little vague..let me clarify.

When I try to log into the system with the VM connected to ANY serial port my laptop times out with a low virtual memory error, but when I disconnect the VM I can connect fine.

(the VM appears to work regardless of which serial port it's plugged into on the CPU..I know on 4.x and under you had to specify which port was for Axxessory talk..is this normal on the newer systems? I inherited all of these systems so I didn't configure them originally..)

(also when I had to default the system recently to upload a backup I was able to connect with the VM connected when it was defaulted, but once the backup was restored it was the same "time out" scenario..hence why I think it's a datebase setting issue..either that or it needs to be rebuilt..ugh..that is the last thing I want to do..)

In regards to the Mod tap, yes it and it's cable are the same items I use to connect to all my Axxess systems. I can connect to all my 4.x and below and every other 5.x to 6.x system I work on (haven't worked on anything higher), so I know it isn't a cabling issue..and as stated above I WAS able to connect to this system for a few years until this happened.

I should also add that the system did work fine until around Oct of 2007, when I was doing a backup on site..it usually only took 15 minutes at most, but this time took 45+ minutes..ever since I haven't been able to log in.

I should also add I've tried connecting to it with different laptops, so I know that isn't the issue either.

In regards to OAI, I just checked the backup I restored from and no I don't have it enabled on any of the serial ports..

I know it's perplexing, which is why I am posting for help. I don't see any obvious reason why it shouldn't be working.

I know isn't a cabling issues, and we ALSO recently replaced the CPU as well (moved from 5.118f to 5.119) in hope to rectify the situation..but this CPU does the same thing the last one did once we uploaded the database.

So I am open to any and all ideas guys, and I'll do my best to give ANY detailed information I can.

Thanks SO much again for your help in this matter,
Kevin

In v5.1+ the Axxessory Talk port is automatically detected, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You didn't state which flavor of VM you have (NT or OS/2) but in either case, I would copy the DB folder out somewhere safe, default the AVDAP database and reconnect it back up. This will tell you if it's the VM database (which is my suspicion). If so you might get away rekeying the apps and mailboxes.

FYI - you can go to 5.2F9 with your current PAL (5.1 & 5.2 shared PAL's) although I doubt that will help. (Except for CPU64's, which you don't have)

OP Offline
I had a suspicion that the port was automatically detected since there was no way to set it, but it's nice to know that for a fact.

(actually I'm not 100% as to what the VM is..I am assuming it's OS/2 but since it was inherited it could very well be NT as I've never actually taken a look at it)

I've dealt with a lot of the older VMs and moved files and folders around via dos commands, but I've never done this on an NT (maybe even OS/2) based VM..

3 questions :

1) Do you know off hand where the DB folder is? (I am assuming it's more or less the directory structure the older VMs had?..if so I should be able to find it, but no harm in asking..)

2) I am also assuming I'll need to connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor to the VM to do this..? (since I don't see a way to do this through the session manager..)

3) How do I default the avdap database? (never had to do that..)

I had a suspicion it might be VM related, but was leaning towards a system setting being out of whack..

SoCalJake, if this work you are a lifesaver and I'll definitely owe you one. :-)

One last question : If it does end up being the VM database being corrupt and I have to rekey everything, the mailboxes will be gone as well correct? (just wanted to clarify that).

Thanks a million my man,
Kevin

If VM is OS/2 the DB directory is in C:\avdap\
If VM is NT4 the DB directory could be in C:\avdap or D:\avdap

Yes to the keyboard & monitor. Mouse only in NT4 though.

Yes the mailboxes will be gone, as well as the greetings.

You'll really need to find out which VM it is before going further. The procedure is a bit different for each.

OP Offline
Understood SoCal.

I'll find out before going any further.

(and again you're a lifesaver) :-)

Thanks,
Kevin

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 77 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024