web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Good Labor Day to all. I have a SX200 superswitch with a problem. The unit at the moment has 2 trunks for now, no internal dial tone throughout the system except the test line, the scanner card goes to 45 on boot and I have a major and minor alarm at the console along with an error 22. There is no data base in this unit, that somehow got wiped, no configuration sheets, so I am starting from scratch.

This is a 217-11 system. I went through the books and found my exact scenario and it said to change the tone card which I found on eBay.

What I could really use is some understanding of the need for passwords, what the switches on the scanner card do and if I need to change them to program from the console. Right now they are at 8888. I believe I need to set them to 7771.

I am no sloutch when it comes to these old guys, but I do need the guidance to get me moving in a forward direction. I believe I should do a master reset to clear all memory as I believe it is cleared now or is corrupted. What is the procedure for that?

I probably don’t need a password as I would not have it anyway if it did. Is there a default?

I know I need to set a dialing plan up. Does anyone have a dialing plan that I can at least follow and make changes to meet my specs. Basically if I had a set of sheets, I would know just what I need to program up.

I know I need the dialing plan:
Cos
Trk Grp
Tie equipment numbers to extension numbers specified in dialing plan
The line coming in are loop start, not sure why, but they are. I know about the switches on the trek cards and will be sure they match.
My main concern is why no ext dial tone. Does it need to be programmed to get dial tone at stations? Seems strange if I do.

I have one station that is in constant ring mode.

Heh, any guidance will help big time. I know this may be time consuming, but the guy just can’t swing a newer system. I consider this one fun and an accomplishment if I can get it running. The guy wants just basic stuff, dial 9 out, calls coming in, dial 0 and 911, rm to rm calls. That’s it. No fancy stuff although I am going to attempt room status for him.

The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask as that is the question that can make or break you. Brad
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Is there no one to guide me along on here?

The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask as that is the question that can make or break you. Brad
Admin
Online Content
Admin
None of what you're asking is within the scope of this forum. The blue binder with the programming forms needs to be found and understood. If you're building from scratch, then start building. If you want someone to do that for you, then call a Mitel guy. The last 217 I did was about 4 years ago. There are no passwords, only direct console access via the 777x command. then you step through and read the existing database.

The lines might be loop start because ground start is more expensive or just not available in the CLEC world. It increases your chance for glare, but in the days of immediate ring, it's less of a factor. As far as dial tone, If you have it on the MTL, then I'd be looking at COS on the extensions. You'll figure it out after you read the database.

Carl

OP Offline
No disrespect Carl, but you make it sound like I am some kind of moron that just fell off a turnip truck which is not the case. I am a 40 year retiree of what is now Frontier Telephone and certified on Lucent 5ESS and have been in the business over 50 years. I deal mainly with Panasonic, so I am not a numb skull by any means. I am helping a friend out. I am asking simple questions that anyone would know who has worked on these and seems well within reason to ask. The reason I am in here is to find a Mitel guy to HELP me, not condemn me for trying to learn a very old system that is 40+ years old. I don't need anyone to come out, I have made great progress. I am not totally familiar with this unit. The owner cannot afford a new system, so I am giving it a go to fix it up and make it work. The Mitel guy that I was able to find locally did help me out to a point that it does boot. Because I do not deal with these a lot, and have only dealt with SX-10 and SX-20, My head still has a few cob webs in it.
I think I have progressed fairly well from knowing nothing much about this unit to what I have learned over the pass couple weeks. I don't want someone to do it for me, I am capable of following advice given that means something. Programming forms are right on the web in book 3. I have the 5 books needed. I am trying to put something basic back on line from scratch. I don't have the time to read every little thing. Some terms are different and I needed some clarification. I don't think that's alot to ask.

Yes the lines are loop start, but there is no additional cost for ground start and is certainly available at Verizon in Newark, NY. There is no issue with glare much anymore since digital came into the LEC world. certainly I would prefer ground start once they have more lines, but not a problem with only 2.

Since I have no database and no original paperwork to fall back on, and prior experience on this particular model, I am pretty sure there is no programming or what is in there is corrupt. I have done a RAM reset of the system. Batteries are no good. Replacing them tomorrow.

I don't know if your duct tape remark is towards me, but its not very nice.

I also don't think I broke any forum rules. Alot of my post is just a recap of what I believed was correct and was just looking for guidance that I understood it properly.

Someone is helping me understand the simple things that are questions in my mind direct to my email.

Admin
Online Content
Admin
Let me reply in random order.

Similarly, I started in 1972 and I plan to fully retire on my 50th anniversary. I only work part time now.

The duct tape tag is there because I'm way too lazy/busy to come up with a new one.

This is not an installation forum. The goal is to direct a poster to the relevant information or give them help offline. It used to be, and may still be explained at the top of one of the forums. There are installer and owner forums at the bottom of the forum list that provide more technical help for approved members.

Since you have no database, but dialtone on the MTL, which is port 1 of the card in slot 1, then whatever is giving you dial tone on that line better give it to you on lines 2-8 or you have a COS issue. Assign or look at the extension numbers to the ports (199 for port 1 is normal) but it could be random, then dial the extensions for port 2 and watch the lights on the card.

Where I came from (Northern Ohio Telephone then GTE, then Verizon, now Frontier), Ground Start TRUNKS cost more than loop start lines and in a modern C.O. it makes no difference in the function. True there were assignment differences, but in low traffic it was simply an operating company cash grab. In United Telephone territory the multiplier was 1.5 for key "trunks" and 2.5 for PBX trunks...ground start was "free".

As to your original post. Did a 217 have a password? You got into programming by setting the thumbwheel switches to the console port and pressed some button (upper left on console?) and you were in programming.
If you're only doing one system, it's cumbersome to program and read the database. Since your battery is dead, you probably have no worthwhile values.

Anyway, sometimes it's better to say nothing at all. I'm thinking this was one of those times.

Retired Admin
Retired Admin
realfoneguy:

How to use the forum

2. ... As a rule of thumb, if the information is not in the users or administrators guide, do not post it in the forum. If you wish to relate such information in regard to a post, you should do this by sending a private message or an email to the poster.

3. The board is intended to assist two types of members, end users and professional telephone technicians (installers). If you are a novice or a do-it-yourself end user looking for advanced assistance with a system install, you should post your question with as much detail as possible and expect a response from a qualified installer who can take your issue off the board and answer your questions via private message, email or over the telephone....

6. If you wish to apply for access to the installer area, you should go to the General Forum and post under the topic Installer Category Permission Ver XX. Your profile must be complete and you should be an owner or employed in the business of installing and maintaining telecommunications system equipment in some way shape or form.

Your profile is filled completely enough to qualify for the Installers Area if you so choose to request access.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Originally Posted by realfoneguy
I don't know if your duct tape remark is towards me, but its not very nice.
Anyone can set up a signature line. it's under My Stuff/Edit Profile and just above the Avatar image.
Carl hasn't changed his for over ten years. I have changed mine about 5 times...when I find something better, I'll probably change it again.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
OP Offline
It seems a bit snooty to me for things to go off line when other forums on this site have the info right in the forum with answers and back and forth. The thing is one word answers help no one and this is a site to help. By keeping info in the thread, there is a permanent record of the information passed that can eliminate the same questions asked multiple times.
With all due respect, I am far from a novice or do it yourselfer. It is obvious no one is reading my posts. I asked simple questions to answer questions in my mind. It is easy to bash someone asking a legitimate question, but it seems real hard for some to give decent answers to simple questions saying one needs to do this or that. As I stated, this is a challenge and I had some questions. Answers will do, telling policy I have not violated is not what I am looking for. You guys may have done all this for a long time, I have only been at it for 50 years or so, but not with motel gear. I have dabbled and was able to fix 10’s and 20’s, but I have not had the oppurtunity to deal with this unit. Help is what I asked for. Answered to my stupid questions is what I need to get the train on the track. This place is in a pickle and I just happen to have enough knowledge with some holes it it to get this thing up and running. My tag line is “The only stupid question is the one not asked as that is the one that can make or break you.” So please, if I have not broken any rules, I am not being nasty, just find a way to just help a fellow phone guy out. There’s not much time left for the die hard guys and pbx’s. IT people want to take it from us.

OP Offline
Carl, I have gotten help from you many times in the past. Nonetheless not an install forum, I am not installing, I am repairing. I think the dial tone on the test line may have been a fluke. I see no coorolation that if I get dial tone on channel one I should also get it on the other 7.
Sure, I found out there was no password after I did a reset of the ram.by programming using some sheets that were filled out for something else on the site where I got the books, I cleared what I did not need so I thought. Looks like the test line needs a COS assigned and I most likely killed that as I felt I did not need more than one COS. I get that now and will read up on it tonight and make my extension sheets up. I still have to buzz everything out because there is no marking on the running wires. I am sure I will get through this with a little help from my friends.
Oh, if you don’t know, in the older office, ground start took a tech to provide it. A strap had to be removed from the line equipment to provide it. It was worth a dollar to the company to do that. Not so sure it was a money grab. Anyway, have a good night, chat later. Brad

OP Offline
Well, Its a success. I have changed the ram batteries and programmed the unit. I have a few issues, but not major as far as I can tell. Thaqnks to all that helped out. brad

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,763
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,445 Shoretel
188,297 CTX100 install
187,081 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Carl Navarro), 173 guests, and 146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024