web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Have a real, at least for me, headscratcher. Site recently installed SV9100 with PRI. Migrated from hosted. Everything seemed to work well until they mentioned that callers calling in will report that they hear ringing even after the call is answered. The party on the PBX says they can hear the caller but cannot be heard. This happens to analog or digital users. I tried replacing the PRI card and it seemed to solve the trouble but it has been reported to come back. The service provider says not them. I have run D-Channel traces and both tech support and I can see nothing wrong there. I am trying to avoid visiting the site with a PRI tester as it is very remote. If I go, I will be prepared to replace the cabinet and CPU if I cannot prove to myself it is the SP.

I am writing in the hope someone out there may have run across this or can offer some meaningful troubleshooting. I have remote access to the system.

Of course, I have made about 100 test calls to this thing and can't duplicate it.

Thank You ~ Mike

Michael Meyer
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I am positive like 99.9% you have a carrier issue. I would go down each channel selecting it #9+001 etc until you find the bad T1 channel. This can also be a glare issue if they are busy and you don't have the lines ascending descending properly (I doubt this) but high volume it can happen.

OP Offline
@Coral Tech. Thank you. I did double check to be sure the trunk group order was set with channel 23 being the first selected channel and channel being number 23. I will keep the #9 trick in my hat. Looking like a site visit is needed. ~ Mike

Michael Meyer
I will back Coral Tech on this regarding the service provider.
By the way who is the service provider?

We get old too soon, smart too late
OP Offline
Century Link

Michael Meyer
Century Link, yep I'll back Coral Tech

We get old too soon, smart too late
OP Offline
call

Michael Meyer
OP Offline
I went to site Thursday night with an ISDN-PRI tester. I jacked into the monitor ports on the CSU and configured the tester so I could selectively listen to Eq audio and network audio.

Then the fun began with calling in, calling in, calling in, calling in. Could not duplicate trouble. I went back Friday morning and finally was able to get a similar trouble. I called in and there was no audio in either direction. I placed the call on hold so the system would broadcast music on hold and thankfully heard it on the test set so I know the system is doing its thing.

We left the call nailed up while the customer called Level 3 and tried to get them to help. We got the same old run around about the D-Channel setup being good which was never the issue. When we explained there was no audio on a B-Channel, you could hear the deer in the headlights look. The tech was going to open a ticket with T-Mobile (where the call originated from) but I think that is a stop gap.

We tore down the call and, for grins, I tried to replicate it. I did. We then tried 150 test calls from an AT&T wireless with no trouble. I was also not able to recreate the trouble for the rest of my visit from my phone.

I feel much more confident that this is not an NEC issue and I think I won the customer over on my side because I at least visited the site and performed some meaningful testing and could demonstrate logically what was happening.

Michael Meyer
Sad that carriers no longer test their own stuff anymore. I hope you are billing for this. It's so rare for a PRI to not work anymore on an NEC PBX unless something physical happened to it to damage the card. Then most of the time it just doesn't work at all.

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 183 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024