web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I've had a Google Voice number for years and just started using their smart phone app. I give this number out as a 'throw away' number for the usual reasons. I have never thought much about dialing out from the app, but curiosity got me last night as to what number would be displayed when calling OUT. I figured that it would still display my real cell number, but to my surprise, it showed my actual Google Voice number to the called party. Very, very good news I thought.

The app imported my phone directory from my iPhone contacts, which is also great. What has me stumped is what happens when I call out. I dial or select the number I wish to call, then hit the send button. At this point, another box pops up with a totally unrelated number, a strange one, like the ones you get from the car warranty people. When that unrelated number pops up, I then have to press either the CALL button or CANCEL. Am I calling the 800 number that I wanted or am I calling the 786 area code number that is displayed? Note: Despite the fact that I'm pressing CALL for the strange number, I still reach the correct number and caller ID is properly displayed. I'm just curious more than anything, but I'd sure like to know what's going on. If this is normal, then it means that there are two numbers associated with every regular number out there. Any ideas?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Sounds like your call gets routed through Google Central. You call them then they forward to the number you actually called.

Hmmm. Wonder why? cry2

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Just curious, try calling the mystery pop-up telephone number directly, or, search for it, and see what comes up. smile

I Love FEATURE 00
Southernphoneman
Unregistered
Southernphoneman
Unregistered
I have google voice and when I first started with it, that number would show up on the google voice settings, but I tested it from my google voice telephone line to my cell phone, the right number came over on the ID, and that is the only time I had seen that. At the time it struck me as odd.

Try calling something like a plumber and see if you start getting ads for plumbers on your computer when you go to sites that use Google ads.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
this is how google voice routes your call over the pstn.... the app calls an 800 number, which then calls whoever you were calling. the alternative would be to be using your data plan to make a voip call, which would also hit a google server somewhere that would dump it into the pstn.

there's a setting in the app under "make and receive calls" that says "use carrier only" or "prefer wi-fi and mobile data" that will switch you between the make a phone call to the 800 number mode and the make a voip call mode. if you're on a data-limited phone plan, and your voice plan is unlimited (aren't all of them, these days?) then "use carrier only" won't eat into your data allowance.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 163 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024