web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Is it possible or has anyone tried to replace the old 2gb to 8gb HDs in the old Axxessory Talk voice mails with an IDE adaptor/CF?

Seems like if it worked it would make for a much more bulletproof VM machine.

Just a thought.

A have a SYBA IDE to CF adaptor and a Kingston 8gb CF card sitting around I might try. Load W2000 and Avdap up on it.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I saw this on a Vodavi a few weeks ago and it worked perfect, so not sure why it wouldn't be a better solution

OP Offline
We got the PC to see the CF card as a bootable IDE drive, so after I find a copy of W2000 Pro will give it a spin!

OP Offline
That worked out very nice. When you guys have an earlier VM HD crash, this is the way to go. Finding an <8gb drive nowadays isn't easy. This sets up fast and is much more reliable.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

I had an issue with the way those hard drives are capped. You can use a larger drive but once you use it in a voicemail, it seems to be next to impossible to remove the cap so you can use it in a PC or something. Any ideas?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
OP Offline
I know we had to re-format the CF to NTFS to get it to work. The 8GB CFs are pretty cheap when it is dumpster toss time we probably wouldn't even bother pulling it out.

Never was a big fan of Enterprise Messaging, so it is nice to know we can keep the old NT/2000 machines on life support. Since they need the ISA slots for the VPUs, there is no chance of putting in a newer PCs.

Project was fun. Never seen anyone do this with an old voice mail.

OP Offline
It has been in service now for four days with no issues. Time will tell I guess.

I have a similar pc that is rebooting very frequently now. I cant get any info on it to see what the problem is. Do you know if I can get the software to rebuild this. I am thinking of installing a second hard drive and building a new instance. Will this run on 2k3 server? Its on 2k workstation now. Thanks for your help. Eric

FYI - Consumer CF cards are not meant for excessive read/write cycles, which is exactly what a VPU does when it plays an AA prompt, system prompt or appends a logfile.

The 5000 systems use an industrial CF card for this reason; one which is rated at a much higher duty cycle. For example, even though SanDisk calls this card a model "5000" I'm referring to the Inter-Tel/Mitel 5000.

I like your idea and think your solution will work, just don't know for how long. Don't take this the wrong way, but the Inter-Tel smart guys already crossed this bridge when the 5000 was developed and they decided on industrial CF over consumer CF.

60% of the time it works every time
Hey Jake!

Welcome home buddy. We've missed you.

welcome

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024