web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Wasn't sure which forum to post this in. Had a customer who's downsizing that wanted to disconnect phone and data connections in a vacated part of the building. As suspected, most of the data jacks weren't labelled on the patch panel. When toning a cable connected to a PBX line, if a phone couldn't be plugged in to identify the line/port due to it being defective or deactivated I'd use an open pair to be able to hear the tone better. I've had success with hearing a tone on a cable connected to a PBX port, difficult but listening very carefully is not impossible. With a network port though, it brought the tone down to nothing on a given pair. I then put the tone on pins 1 & 4 I believe, the test tone seemed to be a bit less muted not being on a dedicated pair. Still lucky to hear it at all though. Found that, 2 others I ended up by trial & error unplugging network ports that were inactive, a few at a time until the jack was dead. A lot of walking back & forth, sure would have been easier with 2 people to watch network port lights on a device.

The network cable tester I went and got from a co-worker wouldn't power on, maybe the battery was good enough for my basic telco tone generator but not the tester. Still, probably the tone would just be just a bit stronger anyway. I'm an old school T&R guy, but these days of course involved with networking in a basic form at least with VoIP. I've used a cable tester after connecting plugs and jacks plenty of times, but Is there a device that could plug into a network jack that would ID the port that it's on? Or - some kind of utility on the switch/router that would indicate which port a test device is plugged into, or simply an app for a PC that could indicate the port it's on? Or - something like the intercoms from years ago that would use the house AC wiring to transport audio, maybe it was a carrier signal that rode on the AC wiring. Makes me think of an old 'Carrier Current' AM radio station on a college campus.There's got to be an easier way than what I did today.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Admin
Online Thinking
Retired Admin
Regarding the Network port the easiest way requires two people.

One person connects a device into the data location you want to remove.
The second person monitors the network.
Person out on the floor plugs in the data cable for 3 seconds, unplugs it for 3 seconds and repeats.
Person in the data closet look for the blinking connectivity light.

For a single person. Make a note of which ports on the switch are active.
Plug in a device out on the floor location.
Compare your list against what ports are now showing connectivity.

For active network ports A different tester can help such as a Fluke IntelliTone Pro LAN Tone/Tester. "Digital network cable toner and probe traces and locates cables on active network."

https://www.flukenetworks.com/datacom-cabling/copper-testing/IntelliTone-Pro-Toner-and-Probe

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Online Thinking
The Fluke IntelliTone™ Pro 200 LAN Toner, Tracer and Probe is designed to work on active network drops. I used it for years before I bought my Fluke CableIQ™ Qualification Tester which does the same thing and more.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks - looks like the Fluke IntelliTone Pro or something like it, is the way to go. Yea I was hoping I'd have some help with this, one watching the switches while the other plugs/unplugs a laptop at the jacks but that wasn't an option. I was about to use the 'Single Person' method.

The network and PBX 'closet' is just a narrow space behind a wall with no lighting. There's about a foot of flooring from the wall, after that it drop down about a foot. When making phone moves I stand on the floor and lean back against a metal stud, with a flashlight. I check out the Fluke IntelliTone Pro some more.

If I had networking knowledge and access to the customer's switch - after obtaining an IP address via DHCP I'd run a command (assuming there is one) to see which port that particular IP address is on.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Keep in mind that many network switches are POE, meaning that power is provided over the full (shorted together) white/blue and white/brown pairs. Even non-POE switches have these pairs shorted, hence the reason why traditional telephone type toners go dead. You'll be driving yourself crazy trying to tone split pairs as you mentioned since you tone will be 'wild', or bleeding through all over the place.

The white/orange and white/green pairs are still isolated from all others, so your best bet is to use a 'banjo' and send your tone over the white/green pair. Your biggest obstacle is that getting a tone to be traceable via ANY pair through CAT5 and above is a challenge. That's the reason that they made these cables; so that signals DON'T leak out of the cable. Still, the second or third pairs are your best shot at picking up anything with a tone tracer.

The first and fourth pairs being shorted isn't always a bad thing. At least that tells you that it's plugged into a port on the switch, but that's of little importance to you right now.

Dean's method of having someone to watch the status LEDs on the switch is the most fail-safe way to do it, but having a second set of eyes is a luxury these days. Still, the other method of running back and forth will be the second-most reliable method. It sounds as if this is what you're trying to avoid.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Admin
Admin
Pockethernet is the device that you need.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Try this old-school method for toning voice pairs, or data pairs that are not connected to the switch:

Put one clip of the toner on a single conductor (or a shorted pair) in the cable. Put the other clip on ground.

Use an Aines orange toner. They're the best.

By the way, did you ever notice when trying to locate a pair with a very weak signal, that if you're outdoors, a guy will start up a leaf blower, or if you're indoors, someone will start a vacuum cleaner? I believe that there is an evil genius who monitors our every move, and sends out a gardener or a custodian whenever he detects us putting a toner on a pair. It's not just paranoia...

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Administrator
Administrator
I have a extensive home network and for running down cables and faults I use:
Okay don't pick on me guys.
But for a low cost cable id tool and quick diagnostics.
I use the klein scout pro 2.
Current version is the scout pro 3. which has more features for the same price.
It works extremely well with the mapping terminators for me as well as testing open,shorted and mismatched pairs and length of cable
They both have a tone generator but you need to buy a compatible sensor.

On the scout 3 the hub feature causes the led's on the switch,router to blink.
They both are not recommended to use on POE
Plus it has back lighting and multiple tones.
Plus you can get length by pairs for finding a broken cable.
And it is rated for cat 7 and will show it as shielded.

There are ton's of accessories for both.
Like extra mapping terminators all with unique ID's

Last edited by Ruben; 07/20/20 03:45 PM. Reason: Added Comment

There is no such thing as stupid questions.
Just stupid answers.
If I had networking knowledge and access to the customer's switch - after obtaining an IP address via DHCP I'd run a command (assuming there is one) to see which port that particular IP address is on.

If you had networking knowledge you would know that there is no such thing. frown

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Hal, if you had a Cisco switch with port security which restricts a physical port to one MAC address, it would be possible.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024