web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
I had a strong tone from the 66 punc down to the keystone jack so that eliminated any cut in the wiring. dsy/csu card in router in alarm mode. The smart jack is red in alarm. Used a loop back to test smart jack alarm light went green. Loop back test of keystone jack at wall plate smartjack was red in alarm. cat5 cable white/blue , blue,white and white orange,orange white match same pair colors on cat5 horizontal cable. But on jeystone jack the pairs colors matched with termination points on keystone jack following the 568B standard. I need to know, what pair NUMBER at the jack port number on Smart Jack is the correct pair? I could NOT get the smart jack out of alarm no matter what wire combination. I tried. Thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Last edited by jeffmoss26; 08/01/20 02:33 PM.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Fyi, strong tone doesnt eliminate possibility of an open unless you can short the pair to cancel the tone out

Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Also strong tone doesn't indicate a proper wire mapping.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Please refer to my response to your other post on this subject.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Do a continuity test on the pins 1,2,4 and 5 from the jack to the 66 block using your toner. You might have an open on one of the pairs.

I'm not sure if I made myself clear in my other posts. If this circuit is truly a T1 as you mentioned, which is for Local area data channels/subrate digital services, you should have your signal on pins 1, 2, 7 and 8 straight through.

Only a true 1.544 Mbps digital services circuit, such as a PRI, uses pins 1, 2, 4 and 5. Are you sure that this isn't your problem?

Should you be using the white/brown pair and not the white/blue pair? I know it's easy to refer to any circuit as a "T1", just like the way people use "RJ45" for any 8P8C plug/jack. Is it really a regular T1?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Ed, since it is on a "Smart Jack", it it 99% going to be on 1&2 and 4&5. Since OP has a loopback plug that turns the light from Red to Green, he should be able to either see or suss out with an ohm meter which pins are looping back to which.

He could also just terminate all 4 pairs of his "horizontal cable" on a 568-B jack right next to the Smart Jack, 568-B at the far end, test it end to end with his cable tester, use a regular patch cord from the Smart Jack to the first jack, and he will be golden at the far end.

Yes, burning 2 pairs that aren't needed, but covering whatever situation might arise in the pinout of the Smart Jack.

Last edited by Touch Tone Tommy; 08/04/20 11:43 AM.
Tom, I know I'm probably beating a dead horse, but card mounting units are designed to provide either RJ48C/X or RJ48S, depending upon the card installed in the slot. I keep asking the question because the chances of a voice-grade circuit running to a wall plate in an office are pretty unlikely. These (ISDN/PRI) circuits likely terminate on a system of some sort, not in someone's office. A DDS circuit (T1) terminating on a wall plate in an office for data use sounds a lot more likely. I agree that either type of RJ48 can be accommodated by a standard 568B extension, but in his description of what's happening, the white/blue pair doesn't appear to be doing anything. Since only the blue and orange pairs have actually been connected, my conspiracy theory may hold some validity.

I keep bringing up the RJ48S scenario because I was called upon to extend one at a check cashing place using what we all assume was a 1,2,4,5 pattern and it turned out that my assumption was wrong. It was mighty embarrassing when I had to be corrected by a Verizon repair technician to use the white/brown pair and not the white/blue.

We haven't heard back from the OP, so we may never know what it turned out to be.

PS: I have a loop back plug that accommodates both RJ48C/X and RJ48S. I got it from a Bell Atlantic technician years ago. It was made by Nevada Western. It loops 1/2 to 4/5 and 7/8 since it's either/or, but never both.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 152 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024