web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Interesting question. Tone dialing is set for each CO in the programming, which I did 30 years ago. But I just broke open the old installation manual, set the KSU to program mode, and verified that all three CO lines are set for tone dialing
(Besides, having them set to pulse dialing might have interfered with dialing, but it seems like it wouldn't prevent me from getting a dial tone.).

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally Posted by hitechcomm
There's something were missing here.

I'm really thinking that the line goes off hook when you plug it into the system for some reason. I wish I was there with a butt set to determine that. The other possibility is the system pulsing or dialing a digit when you go off hook. The digit could be out of spec for the other lines but not for the CO equipment on that line. Again, a butt set would tell.

But the question is why is whatever it is happening? Even if you can see what's happening how do you fix it? It's not something that you can complain to Verizon about because it's definitely not normal for a properly operating system. I suspect the age has everything to do with it. Those KSUs are cheap and if it were me I would just get a refurb (not used) and replace it. If the problem goes away you've fixed it. If not, return the KSU and keep scratching your head.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by hbiss
I'm really thinking that the line goes off hook when you plug it into the system for some reason.
But if that were true, wouldn't I not receive calls on that line? Incoming calls work fine.

It seems like the line goes off hook when I pick up the receiver, but then the CO immediately interprets something as an auto-dialed "1". After I dial 7 digits, I get the message "We're sorry. It's not necessary to dial a 1 when calling this number".

Admin
Admin
Let me think for 1/2 second. The 30810 is MD'd since 1990 something and unavailable for sale since Kari's law. It's hard to believe that a line doesn't work in position 1 2 or 3 and it's in the KSU, especially since the 3rd line always doesn't work.

I'd have a chat with the provider and beg/demand new hardware.

Originally Posted by LenShustek
Originally Posted by hbiss
I'm really thinking that the line goes off hook when you plug it into the system for some reason.
But if that were true, wouldn't I not receive calls on that line? Incoming calls work fine.

Yes, I have to agree.

It seems like the line goes off hook when I pick up the receiver, but then the CO immediately interprets something as an auto-dialed "1". After I dial 7 digits, I get the message "We're sorry. It's not necessary to dial a 1 when calling this number".

That's what I speculated above. Possibly the other lines are able to ignore it but not the third line. Different equipment? The system might cause a noise pulse that's interpreted as a "1" when it goes off hook. I believe there are relays for each line and they have to be at least 30 years old.

Again, I would want to listen in on the CO lines as the system goes off hook. That would give you the answer.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
I borrowed a friend's Harris TS-21 test set, and recorded what the bad CO line sounds like going off-hook on the KX-T30810, and what the good CO line sounds like. I'll try to attach them here. I can't tell anything from those sounds, but maybe you can.

I also hooked up my oscilloscope in A-B probe mode and recorded the waveforms, but given noise and grounding issues I don't have a lot of confidence in what I'm seeing.

Attached Images
CO1_PBX_no_dialtone.mp3 (22.86 KB, 14 downloads)
SHA1: c22679ba113c49cf243e05b8f6c35046c391346e
CO3_PBX_dialtone.mp3 (25.71 KB, 19 downloads)
SHA1: bf656d3dcb58f7a3553796205b1c9806261043b6
CO1_PBX_no_dialtone.jpg CO3_PBX_dialtone.jpg
Admin
Admin
The start of a call sounds exactly the same. I have no clue.

Have you checked the loop current? there should be at least 18 ma and no more than 28ma.

OP Offline
I hadn't checked the loop current, so I just did. It's about 23 ma when off hook on both the good and bad CO lines.

Incidentally, in the process of making that measurement I discovered that there is an inconsistency on the polarity of my three CO lines. The two good ones are different from each other. So I reversed polarity on the bad line, but it's still bad in the same way. I then reversed polarity on one of the good lines, and it still worked. So polarity evidently doesn't matter for the KX-T.30810.

Your scope shows the voltage between your test points isnt dropping as close to 0 on the bad pair as it does on your good one. This indicates a high resistance connection past your probes and closer to the unit trying to go off hook.

It's still an odd condition since the co is still breaking dialtone for you.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (Professor Shadow, Curlycord, dans, Toner), 94 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024