web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
I'm having a consistent issue when obtaining database backups from XTS systems via modem. I'm using E-Com and it seems to perform just fine until it reaches the end of the download. Instead of closing like normal and saving the file, it sits there and hangs, accumulating block errors or protocol errors until I give up and cancel it. Of course, the two hours spent waiting on the download is completely lost. I do have better luck using XTS-ADMIN and doing multiple partial downloads. This seems to be happening more and more, in fact it's on every one I try now. I am using a fresh installation of E-Com and a new USR modem, but aside from downloads, everything works perfectly. Any ideas?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Have you tried hyperterminal?

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"
OP Offline
Oh yes, and even Procomm. Pretty much the same result regardless of the terminal program. I had been using ECOM as my #1 program since this is exactly what it was made for and has worked flawlessly for years.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Analog modems just don't like voip transmission, I don't care what the providers may say, things just don't always convert.That is why I was pushing DR K to let me install ip to serial convertors for all the XTSs.

Last edited by Derrick; 12/17/20 10:09 AM.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
OP Offline
Perhaps, but these crashes ONLY occur on XTS downloads and ONLY when the last byte (transfer end) is sent by the system. I know this because I can compare the file size of prior downloads and it locks up precisely when the file transfer has been signaled as complete.

I can pick and choose parameters using the 'partial download' function of XTS Admin with no issues. Each one signals the end and the program populates the fields appropriately without issue. That's the only way that I've been able to capture full system database backups.

I can download databases from other systems using XModem protocol, even many Vodavi systems, and they transfer properly without issues.

It's only XTS systems and ONLY on full database downloads. It doesn't matter whether I'm using XTS Admin, ECOM, or even Procomm. The same thing occurs at the eleventh hour with no explanation. If it was only one system, I'd chalk it up as being a bug in the system. This is occurring on about five XTS-MPB1, a dozen MPB2s and six MPBe systems. Dozens and dozens of other systems send downloads just fine.

Yes, I know that what happens with regard to transmission between central offices is anyone's guess, but I know for sure that most of these systems mentioned are on true copper lines from 5ESS offices, even at my (modem) end. Some work, some don't.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Well, if you have analog all the way along the line, then that is a mystery, maybe the modems in the systems are getting a bit cranky? Its been a long time but I seem to remember this happening every now and then myself, most of mine as you know, where on pris and the XTScs were very cranky and slow with a pri connection to a system internal modem.

Last edited by Derrick; 12/18/20 06:48 PM.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
OP Offline
I'd agree with the "cranky modem" theory if these downloads didn't stop at precisely the final bit of the transmission (EOD tag).

Precisely. Every. Single. Time.

Signaled by an "error in protocol" message via ECOM or XTS-Admin. The block error count continues to click away until I manually cancel the file transfer.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Joining the party late here but am only able to add my condolences to you and your problem. I haven't had this exact condition with my remaining yet dwindling Vodavi accounts but there was an even worse issue some years ago that caused one of my largest sites to actually crash when 1/2 way through a download. I would now have to fire up my old server and database to see if I still have the info that Vodavi Support helped me with, but if I remember, I became so leery of backing up that one customer that later, I began keeping meticulous notes on any changes I made. I no longer have the customer as an account but is was a very good one that I serviced for over 25 years by installing 3 different systems for them over those decades.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 103 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024