web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
hbiss #639364 12/21/20 11:45 PM
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
The particular phone is used for emergency outbound calls, so, I don't know if the ringer is turned off.

The daycare's director says that the phone hasn't impacted their DSL service, but, I can't confirm or deny this. My way of thinking is, if you subscribe to DSL, filter everything except the modem, so, I dug out one that had been lying around in my storage area, plugged it in one day a while back when the daycare was closed due to the pandemic and checked to make sure that the dial tone was clean & that I could call out.

smile

I Love FEATURE 00
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

No kidding. Every call in should have killed that DSL service. Not to mention the DSL "noise" they surely had to be hearing on every call.
Unless there is a splitter in the NID/Demarc that has a filter built into it. That is what we do on the majority of installs. Eliminates alot of house wiring issues and customers removing filters. Just requires someone to visit when a customer wants to move the modem to a different location.

Last edited by ffej010; 12/26/20 05:35 PM.
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
This particular phone is only used for emergencies. The regular phones have the required filters. But with my adding the filter, all phones now have them. smile

I Love FEATURE 00
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
DSL is a lot more resilient than people think. It really only requires half of a pair to function. It uses the copper as more of an "antenna" to ride along than an actual loop. I've seen this on many occasions. Of course, speed is incredibly inconsistent and tough to troubleshoot, but it does work. Where I am, CenturyLink's only real option is DSL, although they do sell a good amount of bonded DSL for commercial accounts that works surprisingly well. I've seen some pretty shady "installations" in old mills and factories involving hundreds of feet of junk wire that have supported it just fine. Yes, I walked away scratching my head too. JK wire is perfect for DSL, in fact I believe that the entire concept of DSL service in general was designed around adapting to CAT Zero wiring on the premises.

If it can survive over thousands of feet of aerial 'C' wire, or century-old pulp cable, a few feet of JK is a walk in the park. I stocked up on ivory JK wire before it went out of style and still use it pretty frequently on residential work. We encounter a lot of three-conductor JK wire that was originally installed back in the 60s and 70s by Carolina Telephone, in fact my apartment is fed by one, but I don't remember any Bell companies using it in my lifetime.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
I can attest to DSL working on terrible wiring. When the bar was having all those issues, it would still work more or less. All that time the final problem ended up being an undocumented bridge tap in the manhole behind the building. There was around 1000' of unused bridge tap going off somewhere, and while it didn't work right, it did work. What really amazes me, is what the possible throughput is once everything is right. We have bonded VDSL. We pay for 40/10 and get every bit of it. The last time the tech was there, his max theoretical throughput came out to around 48 Mbps PER CIRCUIT. So darned near 100 megs combined. This is on about 1800' of pulp cable from the CO to our BET. Simply amazing.

dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Imagine if all of the bridge taps were eliminated. I think that would allow for faster DSL service to be offered. ponder

I Love FEATURE 00
DSL is a lot more resilient than people think. It really only requires half of a pair to function. It uses the copper as more of an "antenna" to ride along than an actual loop.

Yup. Didn't somebody here talk about DSL still working even though the ring was open someplace?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Originally Posted by dexman
Imagine if all of the bridge taps were eliminated. I think that would allow for faster DSL service to be offered. ponder

Apparently, according to the tech I was working with, ADSL can tolerate some monkey business going on with the loop, but VDSL, especially VDSL2+ really needs a good, clean loop with no taps.

and if it is bonded, then the cable length has to be within 5% (?) of each other.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
From what I've seen, just about all of Consolidated's DSL installs in my area are bonded. It's a mixed bag of ADSL and VDSL, but even my friend's store is bonded, even though it's only 15/2 ADSL. He's less than 1000' from a hut.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024