web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
12 volt automotive type relays are dirt cheap and great for these applications. I did something similar in my own home. For example, one code opened one garage door and another code opened the other. Yet another code would override the sprinkler system's timed settings.

I used a 36 station intercom where '3' would open the one garage door '4' would open the other. Because garage doors just needed a momentary contact closure, a regular relay contact associated with each code was all that was needed. For other devices that needed to stay activated, I used a pair of SPDT relays per code, one to perform the switching of the device and the other to latch on the power to that relay. For example, the code for the sprinklers was '5' and when dialed, it would send power to both relays. Through NO contacts on the second relay, power was applied to the controlling relay constantly upon activation. '25' would fire another relay that dropped power to the 'ON' relay pair.

1A2 lamp power supplies are fairly common to provide 10 volts AC. I just sent this output to a 2 amp full wave bridge to convert it to 10 volts DC, which was ample to activate a 12VDC automotive relay. Relays and diodes can turn 1A2 intercoms into magic boxes in no time.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
You could use your expansion module, but I don't really see the need. As far as what ground to us - ALL your grounds should be commoned (tied together) at the power supply.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Thanks, ED! That means a lot - especially coming from you!

It was something I thought of when I had to have the DICM flush the toilet in a private bathroom in the Empire State Building.
It was a joke that the CEO had. His friends would come out of the bathroom and he would say: "Did you flush?" and then hit the code on the phone. The toilet would flush and he would roar like a lunatic at their expression.

I worked with a plumber who installed a relay operated pump to flush the toilet. I think the guy spent more for that setup than for the whole phone system!

Sam

Sam

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
"Relays and diodes can turn 1A2 intercoms into magic boxes in no time."

Amen to that!

Sam

Sam, you gotta tell us how it worked!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Originally Posted by Silversam
I worked with a plumber who installed a relay operated pump to flush the toilet.

Did a bit of "Normally Open" and "Normally Closed" relays in FACP's, but tampers to water mains were the closest I got to something like that.

One thing a LOT of women would like is a relay for the toilet seat: Normally Up/Normally Down.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Jeff, I was struggling with the phone. It was an ITT K20 Wall that had to be modified for some reason. I'm thinking it was a rotary system and ITT didn't make a K-20in a wall model, so I had to take a K10, add a key strip and convert it to tone dial and put in a Tone to pulse converter (because then the numbers would be on the dial and not on the faceplate (where they'd be upside down)...

Anyway the bathroom was tiny - a sink and a bowl. And a phone and it was a pain in the butt. The CEO (who's office it was was breaking my chops about "couldn't I get the job done?" And I said -

"We can make the phone flush the toilet if you want it to!"

And he said - "Really?"

So we got a plumber in. I sent the plumber a 1 second burst of ground which tripped his relay that flushed the toilet and the CEO was happy.

Sam

OP Offline
Thank you so much every one for the help. It would have been so cool to see a intercom to flush the toilet.........

Few quick questions. ...

To my understanding the Altronix RB1224 relay will act like a momentary switch.
In my application it could be a way to open or close a garage door.

The Altronix RBR1224 relay is a latching relay and stays latched when power is removed. For my application I would like to do the following things.
1. Be able to turn off/on background music in any particular room.
2. Be able to turn off/on a loud bell in the garage and so on.
3. Be able to turn off/on a light.

My power supply is a WECO SD-81824-01 so it looks like the grounds are not commoned (tied together) unless it’s internal, each gourd has its own terminal. I am thinking that I would take the power ether from a extra lug from the block if one is available or just take a extra jumper cable and tie it to the 24vdc from the power supply terminals.

One last question......
Since I will be using few relays, what do you guys recommend for a neat cable management for the 24VDC power.

Here is what I am thinking…..
Make a jumper cable from the power supply and connect it to a 66 block. And on the 66 block ether wire the positive and negative like you would tip and ring or do top half of the block positive and bottom half negative.

Please share your ideas.

Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Originally Posted by morephones
To my understanding the Altronix RB1224 relay will act like a momentary switch.
In my application it could be a way to open or close a garage door.

I have a relay wired to a non-locking key on a 2852 (10 button cuckoo clock phone) that opens and closes one of my garage doors. I also use the contact closure adjunct on my partner acs system to do the same thing, but since it has two sets of contacts I can control both doors. Using some voip bits and some creative engineering, I'm able to dial up my garage doors from anywhere and open and close them. The process is deliberately over-complicated to prevent misuse. I have it on a speed dial on my cell phone with pauses added but its dial a number, get second dial tone, dial another number, wait a few seconds and dial a code.

When it comes to 1A2 and relays.... Your imagination is pretty much the only limit.

Someday I'll dig out my 18 station DICM add-on and use that for relay control for all kinds of things.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 120 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024