Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Online Content
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
12 volt automotive type relays are dirt cheap and great for these applications. I did something similar in my own home. For example, one code opened one garage door and another code opened the other. Yet another code would override the sprinkler system's timed settings.

I used a 36 station intercom where '3' would open the one garage door '4' would open the other. Because garage doors just needed a momentary contact closure, a regular relay contact associated with each code was all that was needed. For other devices that needed to stay activated, I used a pair of SPDT relays per code, one to perform the switching of the device and the other to latch on the power to that relay. For example, the code for the sprinklers was '5' and when dialed, it would send power to both relays. Through NO contacts on the second relay, power was applied to the controlling relay constantly upon activation. '25' would fire another relay that dropped power to the 'ON' relay pair.

1A2 lamp power supplies are fairly common to provide 10 volts AC. I just sent this output to a 2 amp full wave bridge to convert it to 10 volts DC, which was ample to activate a 12VDC automotive relay. Relays and diodes can turn 1A2 intercoms into magic boxes in no time.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
EMP & Lightning Home Surge Protection
EMP - Click Here!
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
You could use your expansion module, but I don't really see the need. As far as what ground to us - ALL your grounds should be commoned (tied together) at the power supply.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Thanks, ED! That means a lot - especially coming from you!

It was something I thought of when I had to have the DICM flush the toilet in a private bathroom in the Empire State Building.
It was a joke that the CEO had. His friends would come out of the bathroom and he would say: "Did you flush?" and then hit the code on the phone. The toilet would flush and he would roar like a lunatic at their expression.

I worked with a plumber who installed a relay operated pump to flush the toilet. I think the guy spent more for that setup than for the whole phone system!

Sam

Sam

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
"Relays and diodes can turn 1A2 intercoms into magic boxes in no time."

Amen to that!

Sam

Sam, you gotta tell us how it worked!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Admin
Admin
Originally Posted by Silversam
I worked with a plumber who installed a relay operated pump to flush the toilet.

Did a bit of "Normally Open" and "Normally Closed" relays in FACP's, but tampers to water mains were the closest I got to something like that.

One thing a LOT of women would like is a relay for the toilet seat: Normally Up/Normally Down.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Jeff, I was struggling with the phone. It was an ITT K20 Wall that had to be modified for some reason. I'm thinking it was a rotary system and ITT didn't make a K-20in a wall model, so I had to take a K10, add a key strip and convert it to tone dial and put in a Tone to pulse converter (because then the numbers would be on the dial and not on the faceplate (where they'd be upside down)...

Anyway the bathroom was tiny - a sink and a bowl. And a phone and it was a pain in the butt. The CEO (who's office it was was breaking my chops about "couldn't I get the job done?" And I said -

"We can make the phone flush the toilet if you want it to!"

And he said - "Really?"

So we got a plumber in. I sent the plumber a 1 second burst of ground which tripped his relay that flushed the toilet and the CEO was happy.

Sam

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Advertising Sponsor
Most Recent 5 Post
Coaxial Cable
by dexman - 03/04/21 03:53 AM
Netlink or CCIS
by Yoda - 03/02/21 02:32 PM
SX200 ICP & ASU Bad ports
by Barrontel - 03/02/21 03:15 AM
NEC SV8100 Inmail Utility
by Sam Juniper - 03/01/21 11:02 PM
IP office and routing calling groups
by High Mesa Communications - 03/01/21 10:56 PM
Popular Topics (Views)
Forum Statistics
Forums95
Topics94,282
Posts639,054
Members49,425
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Today's Birthdays
oldtimer1
Newest Members
Sam Juniper, B Ledford, Jonie4, James Wright, TechnoloJay
49,425 Registered Users
Get Tech Support Now! Click the banner below
Get Tech Support Now!
Top Posters (30 Days)
dexman 23
Ruben 22
pvj 11
Linked Banner to your Product or Website
EMP Shield for Commercial - Home & Vehicle
Use Coupon code SAVE - Click Here!
Who's Online Now
28 members (hitechcomm, Daniel, Ruben, Coral Tech, hbiss, High Mesa Communications, dans, Carl Navarro, jknichols, justbill, Touch Tone Tommy, NECIITech, Motohead, JBean3329, BTS01, Harry76, BJW86, jab1780, BobRobert, Yoda, MooreTel, RM SYSTEMS, teldata1, metelcom, Skunky, sundance, EV607797, phonemeister), 421 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Custom Island 58
Contact Us | Telephone System Tech Support | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2021
Trusted Partners