web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#639962 02/15/21 02:20 PM
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
I believe I need to replace an SLI card in cabinet 3. The customer reports a clicking sound continues after replacing a speakerphone. To replace that card should I power down the entire system?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Samsung
Moderator-Samsung
I would only per down cabinet 3.
Given the age of dcs systems, there's a chance the psu's wrong turn back on.
Also a chance it will drop it's programming.
I'd take a backup if you have a sim module and cable handy whilst you are there.
Take a spare psu with you as well

pvj Offline
Moderator-Executone-Isoetec, Samsung
A clicking sound where at the actaul sli phone or in the cabinet?

I always thought the main cabinet needed to be rebooted as well to "see" the expansion cabinets. If you only power down cabinet 3 then if it doesn't come back up properly I would do a rest of the system after you power it back up.

Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Based on reading these this morning before heading to the site I decided not to replace the 8SLI. Next time I'll need to - now there's no good spares. I used the last good one. Clicking wasn't really a good description - but it was what I thought they were referring to. The sound I believe is coming from the ring generator, it's defective on that card. More like a 'motorboat' kind of sound on the line itself.

While I was there I documented some basic configuration, like where trunks ring (Day 500 (operator group) Night 501 (Voicemail menu), typical forwarding, key layout, etc. There is a book on site, but wanted more documentation that I could save as a file. A few years ago I made some copies in the book of pages with the port and ext. numbers.

I didn't see any serial connection on the system for a PC backup, so I guess that SIM module is an option. One thing I'm not really clear on is paging. I have Samsung documentation for MMCs and an installation manual, but I wonder how the key on the digital phones 'PAGE*' accesses the port on the PBX, or does it do that by default? I see the rd/gn pair of the first Trk A card is connected to the paging amp input. But when looking at external zones, MMC 605, there were no members in anything.

Thanks for the tips. Last time I was there the customer had no plans to replace the system 'Until we need to'. Not to make them worry but explained what could happen if I powered down the system. I would be tough for some IP phones in their environment though being a factory - probably phones out of offices in the factory area just have Cat 3 and no network cables.

Moderator-Samsung
Moderator-Samsung
Page* key pages all internal page zones and the first external page zone from memory. Or it's the other way around (all external and first internal zone)

Usually you have 361, 362, etc in the external page zones. Must work without it.
Been a long time since I looked at a dcs system.

pvj Offline
There are no built in serial ports on a DCS. A Rom 1 card will allow 1 sim and a Rom 2 card will allow 2 sims. Definitelt a good ide to get a sim if you can find one. The memory in the main cabinet is held by a super cap but they can go bad.

Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by nameless
Page* key pages all internal page zones and the first external page zone from memory....

I think the first method you mentioned is correct, Yea there's probably not many DCSs left out there. We have 3 that I know of. Last year one purchased a new replacement analog based voicemail system for it.

Originally Posted by pvj
There are no built in serial ports on a DCS. A Rom 1 card will allow 1 sim and a Rom 2 card will allow 2 sims. Definitelt a good ide to get a sim if you can find one. The memory in the main cabinet is held by a super cap but they can go bad.

Yes the super cap in our shop DCS I think loses memory if turned off overnight. If I install a sim - and I could look this up in the reference that I have, I assume the system would have to be powered down to install it. I made some general notes how the system is set up if I have to reprogram the whole thing.

Moderator-Samsung
Moderator-Samsung
The SIM connects to a dli port.
It provides a serial db25 connector which you then connect to your pc/laptop sio port and connect with the version of pcmmc which matches your rom version.

Can't remember if you can use a daughterboard port or not.
We used to hook dialup modems to a spare sli port, and assign a spare did number to it for remote programming.

Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh ok, a DLI port. So if I had a spare port I assume It could be connected there, and no need to remove any card. I do need to look up details about that.

Years ago when it was all the same telco we had DIDs or COs dedicated to modems for remote access. Ironically now I must sometimes drive an hour or more for a change that takes a couple minutes. With T1s, different Cable TV providers, etc. - the dialup option frequently just doesn't work. Sure we have many VoIP customers now, and a few legacy PBXs with a public IP address or accessible via LogMein, many now require a site visit that previously could be accessed via modems.

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 111 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024