web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#642785 05/22/22 02:28 PM
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
With retirement age approaching I've been making plans to downsize and cut expenses. For home phone service I have Ooma, which is very good. I could keep that and not renew Premium next year which this year cost $133. There's also a monthly fee of about $6.50. I don't want to use a cell phone at home, when I'm home it's usually off. When I bought this house 37 years ago I installed phones all over the place connected to what is now a modified 1A2 system. With the cell phone I recently cut data down (which I rarely use) to 1 gig a month and saved about $10/mo.

I had magicJack for a while about 12 years ago. That version had to be plugged into a PC and I couldn't even get phone number in my are code. They seemed to have improved, reviews are surprisingly favorable on an electronics retailer's website. Of course, searching for reviews will uncover many that rate the service poorly. Some lacking features are no name with Caller ID. I don't get many calls these days, so that's not a big deal.

The cost of magicJack is considerably less than Ooma. I wonder has anyone here used it recently, and would it be recommended? I'd trust telecom reviews here more than anywhere else.

Last edited by Keyset6; 05/22/22 02:37 PM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Keyset6 #642786 05/22/22 10:13 PM
Admin
Admin
First of all, DM our Host. He can probably set you up with a low cost solution. If he can't, I'd go with Voip.ms (www.voip.ms) For about $3 a month, you can get a telephone number with E911 service. About $60 buys an Analog Terminal adapter (2 port Grandstream HT-812). Plug it into the internet, grab a phone number, and you now have 2 lines of dial tone...but you'll pay .9 cents per minute for all calls in and out, except toll-free.

Not a bad idea and it beats Ooma's $9.95 or whatever they're up to.

Carl

Keyset6 #642787 05/23/22 07:22 AM
Admin
Admin
I use Magic jack and have no problems with it. It is MUCH better then when it first came out and no need for pc once its setup just connect it your network and phone.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Carl Navarro #642792 05/23/22 08:43 PM
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by metelcom
I use Magic jack and have no problems with it. It is MUCH better then when it first came out and no need for pc once its setup just connect it your network and phone.

Good to know. Yeah I've heard it's improved quite a bit.

Originally Posted by Carl Navarro
First of all, DM our Host. He can probably set you up with a low cost solution. If he can't, I'd go with Voip.ms (www.voip.ms)...

Don't understand 'DM our Host'. I have a Grandstream 1 line ATA I'm not using, without looking I don't know the model number. Ooma comes out to $17+ change a month. Not bad what you get, I just no longer need all the features. I'll check out Voip.ms. Also keep getting ads all over the place for Voiply.com because I looked at them.

Thanks

Keyset6 #642794 05/24/22 08:16 AM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
I bought MagicJack a year ago and will not be renewing. Bought it specifically to use as a fax line. No dice...

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Keyset6 #642797 05/24/22 01:08 PM
Admin
Admin
Oops. TONER is the owner and sponsor of this board. His ad is in the upper left corner. If you click on member list and search for TONER, you will be directed to his profile and you can Direct Message him.

Yep, the Grandstream HT-x01 will work. The voip.ms wiki (under Devices see all) has specific instructions to interface the HT5/7/8 series products.

Carl

Keyset6 #642801 05/24/22 09:10 PM
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
I couldn't find a member directory but saw TONER in the Top Posters section. Good to know the HT series will work, I have an HT-701. Thanks

I think I recall reading on the magicJack website that it wasn't recommended for faxing or other modem applications, like alarms.

Keyset6 #642821 05/26/22 12:51 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I too am a fan of Magic Jack. Yes, they were terrible in the early days. Their high current demand ate USB ports up. I use two of them at home for additional test lines, plus I recommend them for customers (usually seniors) to use for fax. Understanding how to share a fax with a voice line seems to be too much technology for many. I installed them at both of my parents' homes for this purpose, and I use my second one for faxing as well with no issues. They absolutely, positively will NOT support modem communication though. I've tried all kinds of ATAs, etc. with no success. I retain a telco copper line on a 5ESS for that purpose.

Besides, for $40.00 per year, I just couldn't resist having a few 'extra' lines since I work from home so much these days.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Keyset6 #642829 05/26/22 10:48 PM
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the information. Even though I'm paid up until next year with Ooma, for that price I may just buy one and test it out in the next few months. I have a 'Line 2' position on my modified 1A2 key system ready to go.

Yes re: telco lines on a 5ESS, where I work now we have a 5ESS which will be decommissioned at some point. It'll be a long process, but I recommended they keep at least some of it for faxes, alarm lines etc. as I've had the same experience with ATAs.

Keyset6 #642857 06/01/22 01:24 AM
Had Magic Jack for many years at home. I got one for my mom a couple of years ago, but I heard that now she is having trouble. I don't know the issue since I have not been there. I was told that the tech support was not helpful.

The time is always EST. The caller ID always makes my phone and answering machine time wrong (I use an answering machine still). A caller ID name would be nice to have. Early on had trouble calling some pager numbers (Yes, I said pager). I don't know if it change

I would not use it for any alarm system. Just get the alarm CO to add a cellular communicator. All the ATAs seem to be less reliable for faxing than a POTS line. For healthcare, we still order POTS for fax machines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, hitechcomm), 142 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024