web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#643062 07/04/22 10:20 PM
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
TL; DR alert....

Verizon, as a part of their retirement of OSP copper, is making a push to expand the reach of FiOS in towns/cities. The town I live in has had FiOS available since 2008.

As I've posted in the past, Verizon opted to bypass sections of Arlington that had buried utilities and/or were low density residential.

The church I attend is one such area. The utilities were originally above ground but went underneath back in the 1940's due to road expansion. Verizon opted to bypass the area and reject every request we made for service.

This past week, Verizon sent a group to the church to investigate the path that the 100 pair direct burial took to get from the street to the basement of not just our building but the empty house next door.

Now one thing that had me rolling my eyes. About 10 years ago, when we decommed the old oil burning locomotive furnaces for a new gas furnace, Verizon was unable to mark the cables for Dig Safe because the company records were contradictory. After a backhoe snagged the Bell System era cable (along with another cable used for the old teletype style fire alarm call boxes), Verizon said that it would update their records (after a technician DPO'ed to make repairs to fix the damage).

Forward to last week. Verizon's technicians brought a drawing that had the telephone cable on the wrong side of the building. When I spotted the techs milling around on the lawn, I introduced myself and proceeded to explain how the cable was run (I was present 10 years ago when the accident occurred).

What gets me is that Verizon didn't make good on its promise to update the records back then. mad

It took a while, but the technicians were able to piece together the path. Lots of pictures were taken of the yard, the vault and the cable entrance to the church's phone closet (aka my office). When the group was finishing up, the lead said that another group would be out to tone the cable, mark the path and discuss the plan/options to run the fiber into the building. Hopefully it will be an easy upgrade. smile

One last tidbit. As of this moment, Comcast and Astound have no conduits under the street along our block. The house next door is slated to become mixed usage after the building owner and the town decide to stop playing games and get serious. Whoever decides to service the building with their upgraded facilities will have a captive customer.

As for us.... bye-bye DOCSIS!

I Love FEATURE 00
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
We have seen similar things. Verizon is playing catch up in many cases. Granted Fios is very good, but so are other providers. When 1 of our customers are having problems or moving we look at all the providers at there location.. Usually there are a few choices not just Verizon. If I can help, just send me a address.

dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
I think we are in a good position. thumbsup

I only wish that this happened years ago. It took the retirement of the OSP copper and the 5E switch to get Verizon to move. By waiting until now to go forward, the costs associated with the project are higher than they were back when FiOS rolled out back in 2008. ack

I Love FEATURE 00
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Good
If i can ever help just let me know.

1 member likes this: dexman
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Thank you kindly! smile

I Love FEATURE 00
Administrator
Administrator
FYI
In Florida Verizon FIOS got bought out by Frontier.

There is no such thing as stupid questions.
Just stupid answers.
1 member likes this: dexman
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Ruben, when did that happen ?

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Ken, Verizon sold off their operating territories in most of the US except for the mid-Atlantic and northeast regions. Their GTE operations in western Florida had begun marketing FiOS, along with the suburbs of LA and Dallas. All of those territories were purchased by Frontier about eight years ago. Frontier also took over GTE's operations in HI, OR, KY, PA, NC and their Bell Atlantic operations in WV at the same time.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Don't forget that Verizon exited Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont as well. Now Consolidated is the RBOC for much of those states.

I Love FEATURE 00
Administrator
Administrator
Couple years ago.
Shortly after Verizon did a major upgrade to get FIOS installed every where in the Tampa Bay area.
They sold the FIOS side to Frontier.

At the same time Brighthouse sold to Spectrum.

I do know when Verizon was expanding FIOS they got in trouble in Florida with the state Public service commission that governs all utilities.
They took all the copper wire techs and used them for FIOS.
Which broke some kind of ruling that phone service for copper installs would have a outage less than 24 hours for phone service.

There is no such thing as stupid questions.
Just stupid answers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 111 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024