web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Toner Online Happy OP
Admin
OP Online Happy
Admin
We have 2 of the Grandstream GXW4224 ATAs at the same site and they seem to lock up every 2 weeks or so within minutes of each other. The network connection is still up because the units can be pinged, but the Web UI and SSH access don't work. In addition the display shows "VoIP Failed" and the analog ports are unresponsive. The units are on a properly configured VLAN.

Firmware version is 1.0.21.1 and although beta version 1.0.23 is available, the release notes don't indicate this particular bug is fixed.

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Toner Online Happy OP
Admin
OP Online Happy
Admin
Response from GS tech support:

Version 1.0.23.2 has been made the official release so the upgrade to the version is recommended to see it clears the behavior described due to a memory capacity issue. Does rebooting the device the clear the behavior described? If so a daily or weekly automatic reboot can be implemented during non peak ours to allow for better performance. This option is under Advanced Settings>>System Features.

Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
We have a customer with a similar situation. This site has 3 4248s and a single 4216 that sometimes decide to lose registration. These units have all been updated to version 23.2, but still need a reboot once a week or so. Once rebooted, everything works as expected for a week to 10 days, so some kind of timing issue is tough to nail down. The site is a seasonal hotel and is difficult to just sit and watch in...

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
Toner Online Happy OP
Admin
OP Online Happy
Admin
Good to know! Clearly they have a software bug that hasn't been fixed yet.

Various problems with the GXW4248 version. I had one that had various ports with no dialtone, not even power. I had After testing the tail, a reboot fixed it. Support also said to upgrade to 1.0.23.2. Also lost PING to some of these ATAs, but I think the customer network was doing something weird. When I connect to their Cisco switch, no registrations. When connected to Meraki, they all work fine.

Since we have these rolled out to various cities, I had suggested getting a managed power strip so we could remote reboot. For example this WattBox: https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapav/wattbox . I haven't used this one before, but I heard some good things about it.

FYI, we have been working with Grandstream to connect SIP trunks to the ATA. The advantage is the user licenses. Typically with a hosted PBX you would pay a service fee for every port. With a SIP trunk, you can assign DIDs and just use a SIP trunk with a couple of voice paths. So far I have only got this working in the lab, not on a customer premise.

Toner Online Happy OP
Admin
OP Online Happy
Admin
Thanks for sharing your experience Newtecky - those WattBox products look great.

Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
I've added the P codes to do a weekly reboot to the templates for the gateways we've been having trouble with. So far, no lock-ups or loss of dial tone. Fingers are tightly crossed...

P21929 2 Reboot weekly
P21930 1 Reboot hour
P21931 0 Day of Week (Sunday)

This tells the unit to reboot every Sunday morning at 1:00 AM

It's only been set that way for a week, but no complaints from the customer, and a check just now showed everything registered on the system dashboard.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
Toner Online Happy OP
Admin
OP Online Happy
Admin
We made a minor network change on the switch ports that feed 2 of the GXW4224 ATA's yesterday, the result being that the native network or PVID was the regular PC LAN. The ATA's communicate on a VLAN so this wasn't expected to change behaviour. However, the ATA's appeared to lock up within hours - the switch ports showed a level of sent packets but absolutely nothing for received packets. We were able to SSH in and reboot the devices, but they seemed to lock up again within minutes.

The "cure" seemed to be changing the PVID of the switch ports to an unused network with no traffic. It would appear that the regular LAN broadcasts were enough to bring the ATA's to their knees :-( (This is not a busy or large network)

We have about 20+ GXW4248 ATA's and a couple of GXW4224 deployed at various location for the same customer. I have had constant issues with random loss of registration.. All the IP phones are working great. When logging into the Grandtream GUI it still shows the ports registered. A PCAP from the gateway shows no SIP activity until a reboot

Tech support gave me a new Firmware to try, 1.25.2, which isn't generally available yet.

I think the issue is with LLDP. The IT uses LLDP to assign all VoIP devices to a voice VLAN. I disabled LLDP in the Grandstream and set the set the VLAN ID to the voice VLAN. So far the ones I set this way are not loosing registration, even when they have firmware 1.21. The ones with LLDP enabled at the same locations are still losing registration. Eventually I will disabled LLDP on all gateways.

They had been working better on the Meraki switches because those switches did not use LLDP, and the Grandstreams stayed on the data VLAN

I know that the Web GUI locking up and loosing registration are not exactly the same thing, but I thought I would just mention what I have found. Maybe it will help someone having similar issues

Toner Online Happy OP
Admin
OP Online Happy
Admin
I just received a notice about new firmware from Grandstream - has anyone tried this yet?

FIRMWARE VERSION 1.0.23.5

PRODUCT NAME
GXW4216/GXW4224/GXW4232/GXW4248

DATE
09/23/2022

FIRMWARE FILE INFORMATION
• GXW4216 firmware file name: gxw4216fw.bin
MD5: 7279fbf83fd97c4ea95fb65900fd90be
• GXW4224 firmware file name: gxw4224fw.bin
MD5: 700977a3391802492565cadc639d0c6e
• GXW4232 firmware file name: gxw4232fw.bin
MD5: d91141b6fb57169c8d37ede91bbee317
• GXV4248 firmware file name: gxw4248fw.bin
MD5: 0bec48b8c4c08a8c20464230f362d276

ENHANCEMENT
• Add ability to send SNMP traffic through Management Interface. [Enable SNMP Through Management Interface]

BUG FIX
• Fixed device does not turn off LCD screen Led after minutes.
• Fixed device units lose registration randomly.
• Fixed device will not send a registration request after re-acquiring the network after disconnecting from the network.
• Fixed the Dial Plan is not match after switching to None(default) from China ITSP.
• Fixed a bug causes "Callee Flash to 3WC" function failed after device reboot

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Gary S.), 141 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024