web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
After about 4 years (things move slowly out in the country), I finally have begun wiring in my Tone Commander intercom. It's a common talk path, dial-selective unit and I'm connecting it into my Stromberg KSU (for which I have no documentation, unfortunately).

The intercom requires from the KSU only A battery, B battery, audible signal source (could be ringing voltage or buzzing voltage), lamp battery, and associated grounds. I did not have enough spaces in the KSU for the B ground, so I used A ground for that, since they are tied together in the KSU. Inside the KSU, I used AB, AG, BB, AG, 18V, 18G, and 10V respectively.

I have these punched down using solid copper CAT-5e, since that's all the pairs I need for this, and for a small residential installation it seems like the best option. I document my color selections in order to keep my brain straight and not reverse anything. The intercom breaks out from an Amphenol connector on the side to an M-style block. From there, it goes directly to the blocks built into the KSU.

I have one phone in the basement, about four feet away from the intercom and punched to the T/R, Lamp, and audio output pairs marked on the intercom unit as station 0. I have another phone in my office on the first floor punched down on the M style block as station 1. The office phone also has lines configured for two 400 cards handling our C/O home line and a VoIP line.

When I pick up either phone and select the button I've designated for Intercom, the lamp lights on both stations. In the basement receiver, I can hear the other party (my daughter, who thinks this is great fun!) but there is a roughly 120Hz hum that almost obliterates the audio. Tone dialing doesn't work to signal the basement station, but rotary dialing the office code from the basement buzzes in the office. I am assuming at this point tone dialing doesn't work because of the hum on both phones.

I don't think I'm inducing electrical noise into the wiring, but only because I have two other lines to the office phone that work fine. This sounds to my ear like I'm restoring one of my antique radios and there's a bad power supply filter. Has anyone seen/heard anything like that, and is it possible I'm getting unfiltered voltage into my talk path?

Thanks for any guidance and help you can provide. Once I get this licked, I'll be 8 pairs out to my garage and finishing off the garage/workshop phones and have intercom in all three locations. Then I'll probably unlock a spare line key on the phones and wire them to open the garage door.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Hum on the ICM line is often caused by using B battery instead of A Battery. Try testing the output from the power supply with a butt set. Go across B Battery and B ground and listen to the power. it should be noisy.

Now try the same thing with A battery and A ground. It should be clear. If it's not, then you could have a defective power supply. If it's clear, then make sure you are actiually wired to A ground and not B ground. Make sure that all your grounds a re commoned.

Let us know what develops.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
I was worried I may have mixed up A and B, though I had checked myself a few times. Was wondering if perhaps Stromberg decided to use opposite nomenclature, even.

Lacking a butt set (I need to get one at some point!), I re-punched the power pairs on their opposite rows on the block, and still had the hum.

I then took a quick peek into the power supply, and found what looks like a leaking capacitor. I would suspect this is the cause; if not, it's certainly an important aspect to get fixed. Photo linked here:
[img]https://imgur.com/a/7KSaFIN[/img]

I have an identical KSU in the attic...I think I'll start by checking that one over to see if the caps look okay. If yes, I can swap it in quickly and test things out. If not, I'll have to disassemble and get the capacitor specs.

Thanks for the reply and advice!

OP Offline
I was able to swap the power supply with the spare KSU I have in the attic. I noticed that one of the main caps in this replacement power supply was newer looking, so it looks like perhaps there was a field replacement at some point in this unit's past. (Both KSUs came out of a hospital...I could have had three, but they're bulky).

Once I swapped in the new power supply, I was able to successfully test with a clean talk line and successful tone dialing on the intercom. So, we'll call this one fixed! The malfunctioning power supply will go on the bench for new capacitors when I have time.

Thanks again! Looks like I'll be running wire to the garage this weekend...if the upstate NY weather stays fair.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
A Capacitor is what was used to filter the DC, so that's a likely suspect. Good catch!

If you don't have a butt set, you can use a single line (500/2500) phone. Connect alligator clips (or just loose conductors) to T&R and use that. If A battery is not perfectly clear coming out of the power supply, that's your problem.

A battery is really only used (As I Recall) on Intercoms (manual & Dial) and Ring Down circuits (manual & automatic). If you don't have any of those circuits in your system you'd never notice a problem with A battery.

Good luck!

Sam

1 member likes this: dagwoodsystems
OP Offline
That explains why I never noticed an issue before going with the intercom. Now, it's clear as a bell with the other power supply!

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Silversam
A Capacitor is what was used to filter the DC, so that's a likely suspect. Good catch!

If you don't have a butt set, you can use a single line (500/2500) phone. Connect alligator clips (or just loose conductors) to T&R and use that. If A battery is not perfectly clear coming out of the power supply, that's your problem.

A battery is really only used (As I Recall) on Intercoms (manual & Dial) and Ring Down circuits (manual & automatic). If you don't have any of those circuits in your system you'd never notice a problem with A battery.

Good luck!

Sam

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Good deal!

Glad you got it working!

Sam

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,330 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 172 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024